Early Chicago street signs

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Early Chicago street signs
Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: November 21, 2010 05:16PM

I know the yellow and black street signs are popular collectibles. But, I was wondering...

When where the yellow and black street signs initiated? I have one dated March of 1951.

What did the ones prior to the yellow/black street signs look like?

Were there other styles early on?

Thanks for any information.

RM

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Early Chicago street signs
Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: November 21, 2010 05:24PM

I do believe there was one as early as 1947 in one photo I saw.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: November 21, 2010 08:57PM

In the 1908-1910 era "street signs" were basically painted letters stenciled onto the poles that were usually on the corners in neighborhoods. Street signs started popping up after that period. Here is a photo I saved from e-bay of men that took part in breaking up the 1919 Chicago race riots. Note the 63rd & Racine street sign.

During WWII most of the street signs were taken down for metal drives to support the war effort. They started to come back in the late 1940s and early 1950s. In the late 1970s early 1980s the yellow signs were replaced with the modern green signs. The city of Chicago sold signs to residents which is why so many survive.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: November 22, 2010 02:25AM

Ok, I finally got some exact numbers and dates regarded this much discussed Forgotten Chicago topic.

In September 1936 President Roosevelt approved grants by the Federal Public Works Administration in which $96,000 would be going to Chicago to hang some 64,000 yellow and black 5" X 26" metal street signs. It would take 17 weeks to manufacture the signs and they would begin to be hung upon receiving the first batch. These are the signs that I believe were eventually removed to help with metal drives during WWII.

Starting in 1950 the City of Chicago contracted for new street signs, and by early 1951 they had received 25,000 new signs of 67,500 which were to be made for the city. The first order went to the Bettinger Enamel Corp. of Waltham, Mass at a unit price of $1.67 each. The second order given to Federal Enterprises Inc. of Chicago for 27,500 signs, had an increased price of $1.93 per sign. A third order also went to Federal Enterprises Inc and had further increased to $2.31 per sign which was attributed to rising steel costs. The city began installation of the new signs at city limits on the northwest and south sides working their way towards the Loop. The city used a new method of securing the signs to poles by shooting specially treated bolts into poles instead of using straps which rusted and failed in past years. The new signs and bolts were said to have been able to withstand a 3,000 pound pull. By July 1954 the city had spent $111,939 to put up 58,302 new signs. Mayor Kennelly called the job "the largest project of its kind undertaken by any municipality." The city was said to have replaced 1,200 signs a year because of theft, vandalism, and traffic accidents

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact