The Chicago Daily News Building, 56th and Oakley

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
The Chicago Daily News Building, 56th and Oakley
Posted by: KCgeno ()
Date: March 18, 2014 05:35AM

I grew up in the '60s - '70s across the street from what is now Iroquois Products, at 56th and Oakley. When I was a kid, this three-story red brick industrial building was home to the Chicago Daily News, one of the city's afternoon papers.

As an adult, I have tried to find out what, exactly, went on there. I know the paper's actual headquarters and offices were downtown. And I know that the parking lot on Oakley was generally packed with newspaper delivery trucks.

Was this strictly the Daily News' printing plant?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: The Chicago Daily News Building, 56th and Oakley
Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:18AM

I delivered the Daily News as a kid and I was always under the impression that it was published by Sun-Times (in the same way that the American was owned by the Tribune). Maybe the 56th street location was - as you suggest - strictly a printing operation. Oddly, the News was only a weekday afternoon affair with a "weekend" edition that came out on Saturday morning - no Sunday edition.

AD:

Re: The Chicago Daily News Building, 56th and Oakley
Posted by: Mr Downtown ()
Date: March 23, 2014 01:10PM

I don't think the [i]Daily News[/i] was actually printed at 56th & Oakley. That might have been the South Side distribution center, where big trucks arrived from downtown full of papers. Preprinted inserts (both advertising sections and sections, like real estate or auto supplements, printed during slack times earlier in the week) were stuffed inside and then the complete editions were loaded onto smaller trucks for distribution.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact