Imperial Bakery at 101 N. Damen

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Imperial Bakery at 101 N. Damen
Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: May 16, 2013 01:45PM

For years, Imperial Rye Bread was the bread of choice in our family. I remember going to the store as a young child and buying a two pound rye with seeds for my family. I can still remember the red, green, and white paper wrappers, and the little paper tag that was always on the end of the loaf. I was talking with a friend of mine who, after immigrating to the US in the early 1960's, actually worked as a maintenence man at Imperial Baking. I remember that probably in the 1970's Imperial Rye Bread became increasingly difficult to get, and I remember strikes against the bakeries, and then having to buy Augusta Rye, and then August Rye, and then finally rye bread from a bakery called Burgundy Bakery. I remember a lot of the old companies going out of business with labor troubles, but both my friend and I seem to remember a big flour explosion and fire at the old Imperial Baking plant on Damen Avenue. Searching through newspaper files, I can't find any reference to this explosion, and yet we both distinctly remember it. Does anyone else remember this and when this happened?

I was really pleased to discover through my research in this that Imperial Rye seems still to be made. The Dworkin family, that owmed Imperial Bakery, purchased Kaufman's Bagel Bakery on Dempster Street years ago, and after some health scares and a devastating fire, they are back in business. I hope to go up there this weekend and see if the rye bread meets up to the standards of the old Imperial Rye. I was familiar with the old Kaufman's Bagel Bakery that was on Lawrence Avenue in Albany Park, but that closed years ago. I have little reason to go up to Skokie any more, and was not really aware of the other location.

Anyway, interested to hear if anyone else remembers a big flour explosion over at the old bakery, probably sometime in the late 1960's or early 1970's.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Imperial Bakery at 101 N. Damen
Date: May 16, 2013 01:45PM

Just noticed, that should read 1011 N. Damen, near Damen & Augusta.

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar ()
Date: May 16, 2013 07:21PM

Chow Hound has some info http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/609541

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar ()
Date: May 16, 2013 07:23PM

And from the NLRB in the 90s.. http://openjurist.org/957/f2d/1467/national-labor-relations-board-v-augusta-bakery-corporation

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: May 16, 2013 09:25PM

Bill_Baar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And from the NLRB in the 90s..
> http://openjurist.org/957/f2d/1467/national-labor-
> relations-board-v-augusta-bakery-corporation

He was searching for Imperial Bakery.

Those are about the Augusta bakery. Augusta Bakery was on Ashland. And they did make a fine rye bread. They also made a killer coffee cake.

I haven't been able to find a reliably good loaf of rye bread since Augusta closed. I had some great rye on a pastrami sandwich a few years back at the Eleven City Diner. I buttonholed the owner about it and he told me it came from some black sheep Rosens, who left the family business when S.Rosen Co. started making gooey rye bread.
But he was pretty evasive when I wanted the address.

Imperial was before my time.

AD:

Date: May 20, 2013 02:06PM

Those of you who miss Imperial Rye, take heart. I did some research on what happened to Imperial, and it seems that after the Dworkin family sold the bakery to Rosen's in 1976, they retained the name. In 1982 they purchased Kaufman's Delicatessen in Skokie, and after a few set backs and a fire, they continue in operation. I drove up there Sunday, and ordered a pastrami on rye to check out the rye bread, and sure enough, it was just like the old Imperial Rye. I ordered two breads to take home. Its got the nice shiny hard crust and soft in the middle, not too light like the current Polish rye, and plenty of caraway. For anyone interested, the deli is located at 4905 W. Dempster Street, just east of the terminal of the Skokie Swift CTA Train.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:19PM

Dunning1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those of you who miss Imperial Rye, take heart. I
> did some research on what happened to Imperial,
> and it seems that after the Dworkin family sold
> the bakery to Rosen's in 1976, they retained the
> name. In 1982 they purchased Kaufman's
> Delicatessen in Skokie, and after a few set backs
> and a fire, they continue in operation. I drove
> up there Sunday, and ordered a pastrami on rye to
> check out the rye bread, and sure enough, it was
> just like the old Imperial Rye. I ordered two
> breads to take home. Its got the nice shiny hard
> crust and soft in the middle, not too light like
> the current Polish rye, and plenty of caraway.
> For anyone interested, the deli is located at 4905
> W. Dempster Street, just east of the terminal of
> the Skokie Swift CTA Train.

That is good news.

When I was a kid in Northlake, my mother would send me down to the Polish deli next to Eli & Jessie's mens' wear (clothes with the labels cut off) for a loaf of Jewish rye with seeds, sliced.
We were on a pretty tight budget and the rye bread was a special treat (maybe once or twice a month).
It was wonderful stuff with a crust like shoe leather and a soft pungent heart. The heel of the loaf was like a boot heel and you could gnaw on it for an hour.

This has spoiled me for lesser rye breads. Every thing else tastes like Wonderbread with brown food coloring.

I'll have to round up some braunschweiger and pick up a couple of loaves.

AD:

Posted by: tubs ()
Date: June 05, 2013 01:04PM

In the 70's my best friend lived two doors away. Their entire family worked at Imperial off and on, and I will reach out to him about the explosion. I have no recollection of it, but I lived a couple of blocks away on Damen.

My friend and I worked there illegally (we were 12) "catching buns," kaiser rolls, as they came down the conveyor belt and were dropped into tall paper bags. There was an electric eye counter and one had simply to fold the tall bag closed when the gross (or whatever the count was) had fallen into the bag and clear the occasional "bun jam" on the belt. Tedious- no wonder that the teenage truck drivers whose job this actually was would throw us a couple of bucks so they could go on "smoke break." The line was just off the loading dock and the bags were immediately shuttled into the dark blue bakery trucks for delivery city-wide.

This was incredibly exciting work for a 12-year old boy. And at any time you could just grab a fresh, hot, perfect kaiser roll right off the line and eat it. No bread experience since has matched it. I won't bore you with the other escapades of kids let loose in the bakery (fire extinguisher battles, "ice skating" in the walk-in cooler, bun fights, etc.) but those were amazing and formative summer days. Of course, my parents knew nothing about it. I look at my nephews' antiseptic, coddled childhoods and could weep for them.

I am definitely going to track down that rye. That's a whole other chapter. With seeds.

AD:

Date: June 06, 2013 11:56AM

Thanks for checking this out for me. I have gone back to Kaufman's again, and gotten a three pound rye with seeds. It is the old Imperial Rye. Matter of fact, I bought a second loaf, and sent it down with some buchta from Daisy Brand as a care package for some friends in New Orleans. Kaufman's is on Dempster Street, in Skokie, just east of the intersection of Bronx Avenue. If you don't drive, you can take the Skokie Swift and walk about a block east to the place.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact