Old schools

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Old schools
Posted by: gomba306 ()
Date: November 18, 2014 01:42PM

Hi Nordsider,

My book is titled, Fragments of the West Side. It is available on Amazon.Com by searching for it by the title. Please read the reviews before you decide to purchase it. It is available in paper back and hardcover. I hope you decide to get a copy. If you do, please let me know how you liked it. My name is Chuck Rini. My brother also went to Isaac Arnold school. His name is Peter Rini.
If I can figure out how to use flicker I have a couple of pictures to upload you might be interested in.
Thanks,
Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2014 12:03PM by gomba306.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: November 18, 2014 02:25PM

Chuck,
I have ordered it from Amazon, and I'm looking forward to reading it!

David

AD:

Date: November 18, 2014 03:00PM

Hi nordsider,

Thank you very much for ordering my book. I hope you like it.
I will try to upload some pictures you might be interested in.

Chuck

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve ()
Date: November 18, 2014 04:04PM

gomba306, Henrys last name was Prevot and he lived on Orchard just south of Armitage. As I remember , the hot dog stand was on the southeast corner of Dickens and Halsted. I used to go to St. James on the corner of Freemont and Dickens. Oh, and by the way, Henry is retired and splits his time between Arizona and Florida/

AD:

Date: November 18, 2014 04:21PM

Hi zorchvalve,

Henry Prevot was a good friend of mine. We were on the school projection team together. I used to go to his house on Orchard Street to play. Henry and other Isaac Arnold School classmates are in my book. Did you know Mike Kendall, Tom Garrity, Bob Witt and Kathy Robinson? I tried finding Henry on the internet, but had no luck.

AD:

Date: November 18, 2014 05:18PM

I didn't know any of the other people you mentioned. HJ and I used to go to the North ave./ Larabee YMCA. Ilost touch with him when I left the neighborhood, but found him again a couple of years ago. He had been an executive for a company in Minnesota. We met in 2010 at the old Lincoln Park boathouse.

AD:

Date: November 21, 2014 08:00PM

Hi zorchvalve,

I used to go to St. Vincents on Webster Ave. My classmates and I would be marched over to St. Vincent de Paul on, I think Halsted, once a week for our religious instruction. St. Vincent de Paul also had a game room on the main floor where we could play ping pong, watch TV, buy candy, etc. I guess it was to keep us kids off the streets.

AD:

Date: November 21, 2014 09:25PM

Hi Gomba, I guess I was lucky enough to stay in one school. The "Y" was where we would play games, swim and just hangout. Do you remember Deblois tennis courts on Sheffield and Fullerton. We used to ice skate there in winter. Some of that neighborhood is still the same. I know that on Freemont the houses that you see close to the street were the secondary houses of the property owners. They were miners and built houses in the rear of the properties that were mere shacks so they would have a decent place to stay until the one in front was completed. That may have been the case for many of the houses built on the near north side.

AD:

Date: November 22, 2014 09:06AM

deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 10:42PM by nordsider.

AD:

Date: November 22, 2014 01:28PM

Hi zorchvalve,

Yes, I remember the Deblois tennis courts. I know the L tracks ran above them. My dad, my brothers and I used to go to ROMA'S Diner for lunch on the weekends.
It was also by the tennis courts and the L tracks. Many of us kids went to the Biograph Theatre when they would have a kids' day: 25 cartoons, a short serial and a picture. I think it cost .25 cents.

AD:

Date: November 22, 2014 01:32PM

The nun who gave us religious instruction was Sister Mary Vincent. She was small, petite and was very thin. She used to bribe us kids by promising a free prize to the best-behaved kid in the class for that day. One day she was giving away a Comet model airplane kit. I wanted it so bad, but my friend Tom Garrity won it. I do remember the sisters served the best hot chocolate and Danish rolls I ever had.

AD:

Date: November 22, 2014 03:35PM

deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 10:41PM by nordsider.

AD:

Date: November 23, 2014 12:44PM

This is our house on Burling Street just before it was torn down. The city bought out our entire block of homes to create more buildings for Waller High School. Note all the windows have been removed. You can see part of the front iron fence for Arnold School.

AD:

Date: November 23, 2014 12:46PM

[img]http://postimage.org/] [/url][/img]

AD:

Date: November 23, 2014 12:53PM

The playground that was acroos the street from Isaac Arnold School.

AD:

Date: November 23, 2014 12:56PM

[img]http://postimg.org/image/70qhrw7i7/] [/url][/img]

AD:

Date: November 23, 2014 01:29PM

[/url][/img]

This is the cover of my book, Fragments of the West Side. It describes life growing up as a kid in the near west side of Chicago and covers a time span from the 1940's through the early 1960's. If anyone is interested, it may be seen on Amazon.com.

AD:

Date: November 23, 2014 05:17PM

So many of the buildings were torn down that it almost seems a crime. My entire street was leveled. I lived on Vine street between North Ave. and Willow. Chuck, if you have other pictures of Burling and Orchard at Webster, I would sure appreciate seeing them.

AD:

Date: November 24, 2014 02:26PM

Hi zorchvalve,

Yes, I have other pictures showing the Burling and Orchard St. area.
I will upload some when I get a chance.

AD:

Date: November 24, 2014 04:01PM

Thanks.

AD:

Date: November 24, 2014 04:03PM

[/url][/img]

Here is a picture of a dog show taking place in the Isaac Arnold School lot.
Waller High School is in the background. I will upload other pictures in a few days.

AD:

Date: November 24, 2014 07:50PM

In the late 1940s, the large empty cider covered lot across from Arnold School - the former location of the Uhlich Evangelical Lutheran Orphan Asylum - was transformed into the Bauler playlot; named after the Forty-third alderman Mathias (Paddy) Bauler

The Uhlich Orphan home at the northwest corner at Armitage and Burling, was built in 1872, and existed until 1928. Perhaps, some of the kids at the orphanage attended, Arnold, built in 1884.

The Forth of July at the Uhlich Home. 1926

http://www.ucanchicago.org/history/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2014 07:49AM by nordsider.

AD:

Date: November 24, 2014 09:58PM

Also,

The Christ Church (Presbyterian) on the northwest corner of Armitage and Orchard; and Arnold school behind it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Sxw480t0G-QC&pg=PT100&dq=christ+church+presbyterian+armitage+and+orchard+chicago&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NtJzVJC5F4-nyATZ8YKoDg&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=christ%20church%20presbyterian%20armitage%20and%20orchard%20chicago&f=false

AD:

Posted by: boilerbob7 ()
Date: December 15, 2014 04:43PM

My school was the Lewis_Champlain at 320 W. Englewood Ave. (62nd St.) The land is now the playing field for Englewood High School.

AD:

Posted by: mishadoc ()
Date: December 16, 2014 10:46AM

My sister and I used to walk past Prescott School on the way to St. Bonaventure. Both schools, as I understand, have survived to this day. We used to walk down Altgeld to Bonaventure. We had to be there at 8:00AM for Mass every day. And those stupid plaid skirt and white top uniforms us girls had to wear. Ugh!

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact