Manzo's Restaurant in Irving Park

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Manzo's Restaurant in Irving Park
Posted by: a94 ()
Date: May 08, 2013 12:55AM

Does anyone remember getting pizza from Manzo's when it was located on Irving Park east of Kedzie Ave (not west of Kedzie where Chase Bank is now)? I think it was owned by Antonio Manzo, his son Filipo and Carlo managed it. My parents met there in the 1960s, a photo of the place would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Manzo's Restaurant in Irving Park
Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: May 08, 2013 01:13AM

I never had the pizza but my wife and I went there often in the 1980's. I was a big fan of the mussels mariner. My wife liked all of the veal dishes - especially the veal Marsala as I recall. I think the place took a turn for the worse when one (or both?) of the sons took over the ownership.

AD:

Date: May 08, 2013 01:24AM

My parents were friends of the Manzo's, they told me that the family sold it in 1981 or '82, shortly after the owner Antonio died. It may have change hands 2 or 3 times before it was shuttered. I remember, vaguely, my parents taking me there when I was a kid in the 1970s, it must have been before we move to the suburbs when the neighborhood started to change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2013 01:57AM by a94.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: May 08, 2013 02:07AM

Just asked my wife - she says she has particularly fond memories of the veal vino bianco. Didn't the place relocate briefly after it closed on Irving? Maybe I'm dreaming.

AD:

Date: May 08, 2013 02:39AM

My mom recollects from her friend Genevieve, the wife of Antonio, that the second owner "Joe" moved Manzo's from the 3100 block to the 3200 block on Irving Pk Rd in the mid 1980's. Shortly after that this location was sold to yet another owner when "Joe" opened Manzo's Banquets & Restaurant in Mt Prospect, IL, near O'Hare Intl' Airport. I think there is a strip mall on Oakton St. and Elmhurst Rd. called "Manzo's Plaza", if I am not mistaken.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2013 03:01AM by a94.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: May 08, 2013 04:13PM

The Manzo's Banquets is still open on Elmhurst Road. I did read that the owners of the Irving Park Manzo's opened a new place, this time east of Kedzie on Irving. I wonder if they messed with the pizza recipe.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: May 24, 2013 03:57AM

The area did change over the years, As was to it's disavantage. However, It's slowly coming up again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 03:57AM by Chipast.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra ()
Date: April 22, 2015 01:09PM

in the early '80s I went to Manzo's on I.P. for their frog legs (don't forget the garlic). or baked lasagne. then walked a block or 2 east and had TDF strawberry-cheesecake at the Harris restaurant (open 24/7)

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact