Frader's Juke Box Lounge

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Frader's Juke Box Lounge
Posted by: Paul Petraitis ()
Date: May 05, 2013 02:54PM

Anybody know the address of Frader's Juke Box Lounge? It was an early '60's hangout for musical U of C types before Frader himself died ca. 1966. Nick Gravenites used to sit in on guitar ("for comic relief") during the blues/r&b sets at this black club in 1963 or so. "I wore sunglasses at night, popped bennies, drank booze and smoked reefer and got away with a lotta stupid stuff just cause I was white I guess" The bar had a huge dancehall nextdoor with a Hammond Organ in it.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Frader's Juke Box Lounge
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: May 06, 2013 07:04PM

Frader's was at 834 E. 43rd, among that stretch of blues clubs along 43rd.

AD:

Date: May 08, 2013 02:25AM

Did you go there?

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: May 11, 2013 12:36PM

No, that club predates me! There's a great book of photos by Raeburn Flerlage called 'Chicago Blues - Seen From The Inside' which covers all those places like Peppers, Theresa's, Famous Door, etc., along with the players including a teenage Mike Bloomfield.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: May 24, 2013 03:54AM

When did he die in 1966?.

AD:

Date: June 04, 2013 06:54PM

Bloomfield didn't die in 1966, he just left Chicago. He let the lease go on his Snadburg Village apartment and split for the coast. He left the Butterfield Band after 2 great albums and went on to form The Electric Flag WITH Gravenities who hung out at Fraders (see how I tied that in?) Both he and Butterfield played the Monterey Pop Festival with their separate bands. By 1967 Elvin Bishop was playing all the guitar anyone could need and a young Dave Sanborn lead the Butterfield horn section. My favorite Bloomfield riffing is on "The Lost Tapes" with the Paul Butterfield Band on Elektra.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact