Frank Petges and 1050 Argyle

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Frank Petges and 1050 Argyle
Posted by: murphman ()
Date: March 22, 2013 06:15AM

A couple months ago I posted a question about an old bottle I found many years ago. The bottle reads FRANK PETGES 1050 Argyle Chicago Ill. Thanks to several of you, I was able to piece together some, but not all of this puzzle. Mr Petges seems to be somewhat of a typical gutsy Chicagoan. As far as I can research, he lived in a rooming house on southport circa 1890, Bought his own home at 1310 argyle[address today] bottled some sort of concoction, which was the main focus of my original question,and served in WW1. Later moved to Iowa where he owned and operated a hardware store in Struble. Later became Struble mayor. Served in that capacity until the early thirties. My objective was to find out what the @^$$ was in the bottle. Interesting character none the less. I still am very interested what he bottled, so if anyone has more research skills than I, which Im sure would be the vast majority, please feel free to help. I may even give the bottle to anyone who can answer this. Curiosity has gotten te better of me. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Frank Petges and 1050 Argyle
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: March 22, 2013 10:13AM

The 1900 Census shows -- FRANK PETGES 1050 Argyle -- occupation "na business"; had two boarders, their occupations shown as "beer bottler". Also, FRANK PETGES died in 1901. Is it possible that the bottle contained beer?

In the year 1900, Chicago had 60 breweries. What was the closest brewery to 1310 Argyle address (formally 1050 Argyle) in the year 1900?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2013 09:32PM by nordsider.

AD:

Re: Frank Petges and 1050 Argyle
Posted by: murphman ()
Date: March 22, 2013 07:53PM

Very interesting. Perhaps there was a Frank Petges junior? My first thought was it may be a beer bottle. The bottle is aqua tinted which made me think it wasn't. After doing a little research, I discovered many beer bottles from this era were aqua tinted as opposed to brown or green. So I would say it was beer. Funny, I collect old breweriana and didn't spot it. And the date would match up as it is a blob top bottle. Perhaps it was brewed in house? I did check google maps and it is a rather small house. And right across the street from Essanay. I guess Argyle was a pretty happening street in the first part of last century. Thank you for the info and time, it is much appreciated.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact