Outdoor Amphitheater Near Stockyards

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Outdoor Amphitheater Near Stockyards
Posted by: jcr74 ()
Date: March 20, 2013 01:39PM

My former manager and chicago native once told me about an amphitheater that was located near the former stockyards. Given his age, it must have still been around into the 70's or 80's but I see no sign of it today.

Stories?
Pictures?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Outdoor Amphitheater Near Stockyards
Posted by: Hugh Manatee ()
Date: March 20, 2013 03:50PM

The only Amphither near the stockyards that I remember was The Chicago Amphitheater, but it wasn't outdoor. It was used for many conventions and shows before the McCormic Place Exhibition Hall was built. The Chicago Auto show was held there every year up until the mid-late 60s.

AD:

Date: March 22, 2013 08:51PM

[b]Yes there was an amphitheater on the north west corner of Halsted and 47th st.I'm 76 and it was before my time. It was named Dexter Park. I saw it I think on aeriel views.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2013 08:53PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 11:38PM

Dexter Park was built after the Civil War for horse racing and it also had an enclosed amphitheater. It was located between 42nd and 47th on the West side of Halsted on property owned by Union Stockyards and Transit. It existed until 1934 when it burned and was replaced on the same site by the International Amphitheater.

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 11:41PM

One more thing to add about Dexter Park, it was the first home of the Chicago White Stockings baseball team. I bet you can guess what that team matured into when professional baseball became established later in the 19th century.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact