"Bucket of Blood" Bar

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
"Bucket of Blood" Bar
Posted by: slower01 ()
Date: March 11, 2013 08:17PM

Hello all. :)
My husband was telling me a story about a bar in Chicago nicknamed the Bucket of Blood, located off of 16th & Pulaski. The legend he told me about was of this guy who went in there in the 90's sometime with his wife's head and ordered a drink for her. (He was arrested for murder that night.) It might sound macabre, but we were trying to find more information on the bar itself and the case about this guy. I don't know his name or anything. Has anyone been there before? Heard the story? I thought I read that the site is now park of the parking lot for the United Center, but if anyone had any concrete info about it that would be great! Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: "Bucket of Blood" Bar
Date: March 11, 2013 11:16PM

[b]The Paradise Ballroom was nick named The Bucker of Blood. It was at 51st and Damen .[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar ()
Date: March 12, 2013 01:09PM

Search for "Bucket of Blood" in the Trib archieves and you'll find it's a freqent name. In 1918 there is a "caberet" at 1733 W. Madison, in 1980s the corner of 59th and Wentworth is known as the "Bucket of Blood". The Union League Club in 1939 says their center at2157 W 19th was formerly known as the Bucket of Blood. There is a reference to a brothel in the old Levee. Seems it was a popular name among Chicagoans.

AD:

Posted by: Paul Petraitis ()
Date: May 03, 2013 12:56PM

Pullman had a "Bucket Of Blood" at the NW cor of 113th and Champlain...must've been a popular name!

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: May 03, 2013 06:37PM

Most of the police in either the old Fillmore or old Marquette districts, from the 50's and 60's, knew that the "Bucket of Blood" was a tavern actually names Burt and Frank's at 1570 So. Kedzie. It was known by that name far and wide for good reason

AD:

Posted by: Mzzzdiva ()
Date: September 06, 2014 01:29PM

My mother told me stories about the Bucket of Blood, but it was on 15th & Kedzie. She said they kept sawdust on the floor because there was a knife fight every Friday night. She told me about the man that put his wife's head on the bar and said "Give this B a drink." That happened in 1946 or 47 at Zoo's lounge. The wife was a friend of my grandmother's. My mom is still trying to remember her name. My father & uncle owned the lounge at 16th & Pulaski called Sarah's House.

I hope this helps. Now I'm curious. LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2014 01:37PM by Mzzzdiva.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: September 06, 2014 09:10PM

Mzzzdiva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She told me about
> the man that put his wife's head on the bar and
> said "Give this B a drink." That happened in 1946
> or 47 at Zoo's lounge.

--Geeze, I hope no one else at the bar pushed an empty glass toward the bar tender and said, "Put a head on this."

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact