Greyhound Station Tunnels

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Greyhound Station Tunnels
Posted by: trafficway ()
Date: February 24, 2013 12:34PM

I was recently reading about the old Greyhound station downtown at Clark & Randolph, which indicated that it had tunnels leading directly from lower Wacker. Does anyone know what the location of the tunnels was - under Randolph or Clark, or under the adjacent buildings? And whether any vestiges of them still exist?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Greyhound Station Tunnels
Posted by: Mr Downtown ()
Date: February 24, 2013 11:20PM

The buses came and went via Garvey Place. About 150 feet north of Lake Street, a tunnel to the Greyhound Station took off to the east, then due south under Lake Street, about where the Seven-11 is now. Here's an old fire insurance map that I colored to show the tunnel in yellow:

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: February 25, 2013 01:16AM

Good question - before the parking garage built at Clark and Lake, I remember there being a vacant lot blocked from view while they figured out if the second tower of the Chicago Title & Trust building was ever going to get completed. Maybe portions of the tunnel still remain?

AD:

Posted by: QlassiQue ()
Date: February 25, 2013 02:59PM

Thanks for posting this map of the Greyhound station. In the FC article describing our party last year celebrating Chicago's 175th birthday, we discussed an unbuilt 1949 tower by SOM over the station:

http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/review-of-fc175-our-chicago-birthday-party-on-march-31-2012/

AD:

Posted by: trafficway ()
Date: February 26, 2013 03:41PM

Thanks, Mr Downtown, that's a great map. I would doubt that the existing tunnels were left in place under all that new construction, but I wonder if the entrance from Garvey Court is still visible. I'll have to look next time I'm driving lower Wacker. Thanks, all, for the info!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact