Old Loyola University dorm - Winshire Arms Hotel - 6321 Winthrop

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Old Loyola University dorm - Winshire Arms Hotel - 6321 Winthrop
Posted by: barbchri ()
Date: February 08, 2013 11:07PM

I'm looking for old pictures or information about my old dorm at Loyola University, Creighton Hall, which was was once known as the Winshire Arms Apartment Hotel and demolished last year. It was located in Edgewater at 6321 N. Winthrop designed by the architects Koenigsberg & Weisfeld in 1926. I've researched at the Loyola Archives, Edgewater Historical Society, and Chicago History Museum and I've found little to nothing about the building and the architects. Anyone have any suggestions or know about this building? According to the Tribune, the landlord of the building was involved in a lawsuit with it's tenannts in the late 1940s.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old Loyola University dorm - Winshire Arms Hotel - 6321 Winthrop
Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: February 18, 2013 06:39PM

@ barbchri, I can tell you that in was built in 1932 and it was a 70 unit apartment.

Address, 6321-6321 North Winthrop

PIN, 14-05-201-006

Structure ID, 01405201006000

The info above is what the city uses to describe this property.

I read online about the law suits. You should be able to find it with no problems. I also a article on tearing down the structure as well. The Google image, street view shows the dorm as it was in July 2011 if you want copy it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 07:02PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Re: Old Loyola University dorm - Winshire Arms Hotel - 6321 Winthrop
Posted by: QlassiQue ()
Date: March 26, 2013 03:59PM

The architects of this building also did a series of storefronts for the Chicago-based shoe store chain Feltman & Curme. The original rendering of the storefront at 4710 North Sheridan may be found here: http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/five-years-of-forgotten-chicago-part-2-research/.

This firm also did storefronts for Feltman & Curme in Evanston and Phoenix. Forgotten Chicago is planning a post in the future on this long-forgotten shoe store chain, which disappeared in the mid-1950s.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact