Short Streets

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Short Streets
Posted by: Brian (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2008 05:23PM

I noticed these streets on the southside, Parsimony and Elsdon. I am not sure, however, if they are private or public streets. They carry official Chicago streetsigns. Here is a google maps link to the corner of Parsimony and Elsdon: http://tinyurl.com/4yxaps

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Short Streets
Posted by: paw (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 10:02PM

nice though i wonder why its northern counterpart is only an alley. hmm reminds me of 57th place and major and the house in the alley

AD:

Posted by: Old Southsider (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 02, 2008 08:49PM

For some reason Waterloo Court was left off the list. (Located midway between Broadway and Clark Street) It has the unique distinction of intersecting with Wellington Avenue (3000 North). This would be an ideal location for a statue of Napoleon.

AD:

Date: July 03, 2008 12:34AM

It is still too long just barely to make the list for one, but pretty close.

AD:

Posted by: WayDownSouth (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 24, 2008 12:34AM

Does anyone know anything about South Jane Court?

I recently obtained a copy of the most recent precinct map of the 19th ward from the Chicago Board of Elections and discovered a very short street. The only other place I could find it is in a 1993 Chicago zoning book. If you look at the map on the Citys GIS website it shows this as city right-of-way but doesn’t have the street name. It is located in Beverly between Wood, Prospect, 101st St, and 101st Pl at 1619 West and runs roughly from 10000 to 10006 South. If this actually is considered a street then from what I can tell it would be the shortest street in the city. The other end of the block has another similar looking “street” but I see no indication on any map that it actually has a name.

As far as I can tell the street serves no purpose and is basically a driveway for the two homes on either side of it with garages on both sides at the end of it.

This street is so obscure that Google maps doesn’t even recognize it. If you use the address 1633 West 100th Street in Google Street View you will be able to see it. As you can tell it doesn’t appear to have a typical curb cut as you would see for a driveway so it appears that the city is treating it as a street even though there is no street sign for it. So basically the people on either side of it are getting their driveway maintained for free and pay no property taxes on it.

AD:

Posted by: WayDownSouth (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 24, 2008 01:22AM

Speaking about houses in alleys how about the houses in the alley between 99th, 100th, Campbell, and Maplewood?

AD:

Date: August 28, 2008 11:28PM

That "short street" is an alley if anything. Or some remnant of something. looks cool though.

AD:

Date: August 29, 2008 03:34AM

hmm it looks like those houses are in alleys. What streets are they addressed on.

AD:

Posted by: Serhii (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2009 08:40PM

Jane Court shows up on 1950s Fire Insurance maps, but is not listed as a street in the City's current zoning map. It would definitely be short enough for the page, but as it seems to be un-signed and un-recognized by the city, it shouldn't be included. Interesting find, though.

AD:

Posted by: graylander773 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2010 11:16PM

Here's a screen shot of the map with alley-houses at 2500W-2540W/9900S-10000S. Strange. What address do these even use?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact