Sources of the Chicago River - Middle Fork of North Branch

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Sources of the Chicago River - Middle Fork of North Branch
Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: March 22, 2012 04:56PM

I think I found a source of the middle fork of the Chicago River's north branch today. There are probably others.

This source is on Abbott Laboratories property (where I work) just south of Rt 137, east of the I94 ramp. It's a swampy area which spawns a pretty good flowing creek that makes its way west under the Milwaukee Road RR tracks (where the Amtrak Hiawatha travels to/from Chicago and Milwaukee) then heads south where it eventually becomes part of the North Branch after joining up with the Skokie River and West fork.

While it hasn't rained much in several weeks, there was enough water flow to create what looked like a trout stream in places.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/k9jdk/sets/72157629643259993/detail/

If anyone can add or make corrections to this, please do.

My next quest is to find the source of the West and East (aka Skokie River) Forks.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 06:11PM by daveg.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Source of Chicago River - Middle Fork of North Branch
Date: March 22, 2012 05:19PM

Just noticed I picked up a tick probably while on my river hunt earlier today. One of the hazzards of discovery I guess. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 05:20PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2012 05:46PM

Hopefully no Lyme disease in the city?

AD:

Date: March 22, 2012 05:51PM

davey7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hopefully no Lyme disease in the city?

I'll letcha know in a few days (or sooner).

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2012 09:32PM

This warm winter will have been great, along with this crazy hot spring, for bugs.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 01:06AM

12 new photos taken today; click on Flickr link above. Very close to the headwaters of the Middle Fork, a few miles NW of the previous photo location. After 2 days of rain the water was really flowing in the area.

Noticed a few people outside as I was driving by and I asked if the "creek" was ever dry. They said yes and that it had been until the recent rains. They told me about a small and somewhat hidden park, which I would have never found, that had several signs describing the watershed area and Middle Fork of the Chicago River. What a find!! They were very interested in the flood map I had. Looks like there was quite a big flood in this area in 1938.

Approximate location: where O'Plaine Road crosses over I94, not too far from Great America. Another landmark; three large antenna towers just west of I94.

I think I'll poke around that area a bit more and see if I can find where the water initially bubbles up from the ground, if such a place exists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 11:08AM by daveg.

AD:

Date: March 24, 2012 05:38PM

Last group of 11 photos taken today. Total in set: 41 See today's after the Serenity park sign.

Here's the link again:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/k9jdk/sets/72157629643259993/

Found two small creeks on the west side of O'Plaine Road that fed toward Serenity Park. I suspect the combination of these small creeks along with water from the surrounding wetlands contribute to form the Middle Fork of the Chicago River.

Note one of today's (lucky) photos is of an Amtrak train heading toward Chiacgo on the Milwaukee Road tracks. These are the tracks seen in earlier photos in this set, about a mile or so south of this location.

I plan to return to this area later in the year to see if I might find where the water flow begins in the dry season.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 06:24PM

Daveg,
My friend Bob lived right behind Great America in 1995 and had a little creek (like 6 inches wide) run through his property. He was told once by someone that waterway was protected and not to be disturbed. It sounds like your creek.

AD:

Date: March 24, 2012 09:42PM

rjmachon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Daveg,
> My friend Bob lived right behind Great America
> in 1995 and had a little creek (like 6 inches
> wide) run through his property. He was told once
> by someone that waterway was protected and not to
> be disturbed. It sounds like your creek.

rjmachon,

Any water in the vicinity of Great America is in the DesPlaines River watershed. Less than a mile east of Great America is a continental divide of sorts. Water east of that divide winds up in the Chicago River system. Good idea on the do not disturb the waterways.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 12:32PM by daveg.

AD:

Re: Sources of the Chicago River - Middle Fork of North Branch
Date: March 28, 2012 12:46PM

Five new photos added to the Flickr set today. These from the LCFP Middlefork Savanna located in Lake Forest.

http://www.lcfpd.org/preserves/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.view&object_id=205&type=P

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact