Patio Theatre

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Patio Theatre
Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2011 07:58PM

Anyone here been to the newly reopened Patio Theatre on Irving and Austin? I used to go there alot as a kids & teenager. They've recently reopened showing relatively newer movies and only charge $5. I went last night, and wow, it was like walking into a time warp! It's still a beautiful old style theatre with 1500 seats,with twinkling stars and moving clouds on the ceiling. Everything was EXACTLY as it was the last time I was there about 40 years ago! The same concession counter,funky bathrooms, the spanish deco water fountains with the low stream, but the granduer of the place was amazing. I probably spent more time looking at and basking in the interior,moving clouds, and twinkling stars than the movie. (Capt. America...OK, but not what I expected.). Anyone wanting to experience what it used to be like in the 'ol days should check it out.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Patio Theatre
Date: August 20, 2011 08:04PM

The Patio was built in 1927, was open until about 2001 when attendance was low and they couldnt afford to fix the AC. It's sat for 10 years and was reopened by the original owners son. Again, check it out !

AD:

Posted by: logansquare60647 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 04:28AM

Agreed. I'd much rather hand over my money to see a film to this establishment than some cookie cutter big corporation AMC or something.

Let's hope maybe the Uptown can open sometime in the future! I never got to experience it, but from the things I've read and the pictures I've seen, it was majestic in all of it's glory. Jam Entertainment owns it now, we'll see what they do with it.

AD:

Date: August 25, 2011 02:11PM

See following message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 02:15PM by HOLTANEK.

AD:

Date: August 25, 2011 02:14PM

The Portage by six corners is another one of the old gems that seems to be doing well,showing old silent and horror films. In the 70s they cut it up in to 3 or 4 "mini-auditoriums" but they've torn down the dividers and restored it to it's original size. They have connections with the silent movie and horror films societies and have alot of showings I understand that although the Uptown is a very cool classic theatre, the costs to restore it as well as the crappy location and no parking dont bode well for it's reopening. Of course, I'm sure they could do concerts there,(I saw the Replacements there in the late 80;s-Great show), look at what they're doing at the Congress, another relic in a godforsaken area.

AD:

Posted by: sbaer311 (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 03:46PM

I saw that the Patio was open again when I drove past there 2 weeks ago on my way to Merrimac Park. I grew up on Warwick and Meade and it was fun looking at the old neighborhood! Sorry to hear that St. Pascal's is on the way out. Only 100 some students.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2011 04:46AM

When I graduated St. Pascals in 1975, there were 106 of us 8th graders! I was thinking school would do well now, with all the Polish Catholic immigrants.

AD:

Date: September 05, 2011 02:13PM

What's this about St. Pascals closing? What a shame!

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 02:58AM

[url=http://www.stpascalschool.com/school_flyer_AIM.pdf]St Pascals flyer[/url]

Well, I checked on Google and got the above link which claims "We [St Pascals]are not closing".

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact