Anybody took a notice on south Western, between 35th and 47th, at night ??!! WOW!!! Breath of FRESH AIR!!!

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Anybody took a notice on south Western, between 35th and 47th, at night ??!! WOW!!! Breath of FRESH AIR!!!
Posted by: dfam35 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 03:05AM

Hey folks, fellow Chicagoans! As we've all noticed, we've been plagued for at least the past 30 years with ugly "Crimefighter" streetlamps, swarms of them! They produce that annoying orange amber glow that marks our boundaries as a city. Even when they updated the luminaires on various thoroughfares in recent years, they still gave the streets the same glow at night. I was only five or six years old when the city decided to abandon the good ol' vintage streetlamps (around '78), and didn't get to enjoy the cool mercury glow, unless I was riding through rural suburbia. Tell me if I'm dreamin' - wake me up and tell me it was only a dream! If you've traveled down south Western, between 35th and 47th street (minus intersections), you have probably had a wonderful refreshing driving experience, one you've probably haven't had in a long, long time. I'll let you be the judge of this one - try it for yourself! I hope that this is the trend of Chicago streetlighting, that someone "woke up" and decided to restore Chicago's streets to their former glory!!! Is this going on anywhere else in our big city??? If so, tell me where! Inquiring minds wanna know!!! Thought I'd never live to see this day... I hope THIS becomes the future of Chicago streetlighting!!! Time for change!!!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Anybody took a notice on south Western, between 35th and 47th, at night ??!! WOW!!! Breath of FRESH AIR!!!
Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2010 02:20PM

On the FC West Town tour last Sunday, the new street lighting project was mentioned. Higher efficiency bulbs, no more orangeish glow, etc.

Thanks for the Western Ave. update.

AD:

Re: Anybody took a notice on south Western, between 35th and 47th, at night ??!! WOW!!! Breath of FRESH AIR!!!
Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 01:14AM

I believe there's some on the block of S,Plymouth near the main library. And around Finkl Steel co, At N.Southport.

AD:

Date: December 17, 2010 10:49PM

daveg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On the FC West Town tour last Sunday, the new
> street lighting project was mentioned. Higher
> efficiency bulbs, no more orangeish glow, etc.
>
> Thanks for the Western Ave. update.

I believe those were replaced again with the ugly bright sodium vapor lights again, At Wood St in Wicker Park, Unfortunately.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 17, 2011 06:38PM

I noticed last night that most of the street lights along LSD from Irving north have been replaced with a new, brighter, whiter, yet less glaring (and with a sharper, less polluting cut off) lamping (I think it's the whole head, if not the pole).

AD:

Date: January 19, 2011 10:04PM

davey7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noticed last night that most of the street
> lights along LSD from Irving north have been
> replaced with a new, brighter, whiter, yet less
> glaring (and with a sharper, less polluting cut
> off) lamping (I think it's the whole head, if not
> the pole).

And not the usually ugly 1970's-90's sodium vapor lights??????.

AD:

Date: January 21, 2011 03:31PM

Nope, they're something new (I just can't, well, couldn't, tell if they were LED or something else).

AD:

Date: February 13, 2011 04:55PM

As I was taking a ride down S.Kostner to the Eisenhower. I had noticed, Looking east on 4300 W.Van Buren. Some new street lighting was implimented & was NOT the ugly & brazen sodium-vapor lighting which plagued much of the world for about 30-40 years. So therefore, The days of the sodium-vapor lighting pollution may be numbered in the not too distant future.

AD:

Posted by: catch1111 (---.illinois.net)
Date: February 13, 2011 05:39PM

Most likely, it is the new "Borealis" LED Lighting that the City is testing.

AD:

Posted by: Lampwizard (---.ip.mcleodusa.net)
Date: February 19, 2011 08:23PM

The white lights on S. Western Avenue all the way from 15th to 118th street are socalled Philips CDM Medium Wattage 210W lamps. These are ceramic metal halide HID lamps with very good color rendering as well as a pleasant color temperature. The city has chosen to replace the 400W (?) high-pressure sodium lamps with these lamps. On N. LakeShore Drive, the sodium lamps have been replaced with 315W CDM lamps. I like this kind of light much better as the yellowish light from the sodium lamps. Glare is a lot less too at Lake Shore Drive. On Western Avenue, glare is still there but a little less intrusive.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 19, 2011 11:11PM

Welcome to FC and thanks for the info Lampwizard.

AD:

Posted by: Lampwizard (---.ip.mcleodusa.net)
Date: February 19, 2011 11:36PM

@ daveg You're welcome B) I will try to share a bit of my Chicago trips and urban explorations as well. This site has much interesting information about this fascinating city.

AD:

Date: February 20, 2011 07:15PM

Last night, As I was looking out my car window. At the alley just north of Madison, Between Damen & up a few more blocks. Some new white lighting was apparently intalled. So thusly, This IS the future of Chicago street lighting.

AD:

Date: February 24, 2011 07:53PM

YAY! It's so much nicer, and better for night photography.

AD:

Date: March 05, 2011 11:28PM

UPDATE: Now S.Western overpass at the Eisenhower expy & south of there is continuing the trend.

AD:

Date: March 07, 2011 11:24AM

I drove on the section of LSD (about Irving to Hollywood) with the new lights last night and noticed that a lot of them were out (and it seems a bit dimmer as well). I hope that this is poor installation or faulty original fixtures rather than a problem with the new lights - they are so much more attractive and seem like they are also more focused to the roadway - less overspill and light pollution.

AD:

Date: April 10, 2011 02:34AM

At about the 4700 block of Polk, I Somehow noticed that there were those smaller street lights, That I believe were the new LED street lights. I could be wrong, But maybe not.

AD:

Posted by: jamanocchio (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2011 06:32PM

dfam35: We are working with one of the companies responsible for providing the new lighting on Western and Lake Shore. We would love the opportunity to talk to you more about your experience with the new lighting. Can you please contact me directly at jennifer@sweeneypr.com. It is wonderful Chicagoans are taking note!

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2011 10:34PM

Possible sighting of the same street lighting at 900 S.Laflin.

AD:

Date: May 08, 2011 01:04AM

The trend IS continuing. Now the alley between Warren & Washington (2000 W), Have the very same lighting.

AD:

Date: May 18, 2011 07:34PM

More lights have been changed on North LSD and they are beginning on south LSD, but a lot (if less) of the new ones are still out, compared to the old lights. I was trying to compare how they performed in the rain with reflections, they seem about the same.

AD:

Date: May 31, 2011 01:02AM

The trend is DEFINITELY continuing. In an alley 6200 S. between the tracks & S.Kostner. On 50th nr Western. Starting again on Western nr Madison and FURTHER north......

AD:

Date: June 07, 2011 10:48PM

That WAS obviously one of those new LED lights at 900 S.Laflin.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: June 07, 2011 10:53PM

Lights have been changed on the west side of LSD heading south from the Stevenson until about Pershing. Makes a huge difference. Also, don't know if it's related, but new non-orange streetlights are in place on 67th Street along the wall of Oak Woods Cemetery.

AD:

Date: June 12, 2011 02:06AM

More to add............

Along the side streets between Newport & Aldine (E of Clark),

AD:

Date: July 04, 2011 01:05AM

The lights at 1500 W, Van Buren are ALSO lower LED lighting.

AD:

Date: August 01, 2011 05:55PM

A few more were sighted. Around E 78th in South Shore. A few other ones in the same area. On S.Shore Dr in Jackson Park. On S.Lake Shore Dr near the Stevenson, Around E.14th st near S.Lake Shore Dr.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2011 07:22PM

Trib article on Chicago's new street lighting.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-starts-replacing-lights-that-have-shrouded-city-in-orange-glow-20110806,0,4557442.story?track=rss

AD:

Date: August 08, 2011 06:27PM

I also noticed the installation of those lights down 2800 N.Sayre. And on the 6700-7200 block of W.North Av. And even into some of the streets of Forest Park, Ill.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact