Tracks near the Brickyard

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Tracks near the Brickyard
Posted by: Chris (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 10:30PM

HI, growing up I remember railroad tracks that ran next to the Brickyard on the Northwest side. I remember even seein a train cross Grand avenue and I thought it was the coolest thing. According to an old map it ran up to Irving. The tracks that crossed Belmont and Addison are now gone. I know they serviced some of the factories on Diversy and Nashville. Was this a remnant of the old crazy train? Were the used for funerals in the cemetary on Addison and Narragassett? Any information and old pictures would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Tracks near the Brickyard
Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2010 11:27PM

See the post "the building at approx 3262 N. Narragansett ave" it has pictures of it now, I would also love to see old pictures.

AD:

Posted by: scottnchgo27 (---.spiral-helix.com)
Date: May 06, 2010 06:22PM

As far as I can remember, the train tracks behind the BrickYard Mall were used by the Carey Brick Company on Fullerton and Natchez. Once the brick company closed, the tracks were only used between other factories. They contiuned just west of Belmont along side the Kimball Candy Company. There would be huge freight cars parked with corn syrup dripping out of the bottom. I don't think the trains had anything to do with the Dunning Mental Hospital as the tracks stopped at Addison. Just wondering what cemetary would have enough activity to require train cars stopping on the premises?

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2010 01:36AM

According to a Portage Park history book I have, those tracks were used by the "crazy train". Also, check the 1938 map under 'maps' here in Forgotten Chicago and see where these tracks run, they go right into the old Dunning MH.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-244-40.myvzw.com)
Date: May 10, 2010 06:17PM

Thanks for posting this topic, Chris! Under the "Questions and Answers" part of the FC Forums there is a topic called "What was at Montrose and Narragansett prior to Wright College?" posted. There is a lot of discussion on that thread about these tracks. I'm still doing a bit of research on these tracks as I'm fascinated with them. I guess because I grew up just a stone's-throw away from them. Here's a bit of history on them but I plan to write much more as my research progresses. The single-line track was laid down in 1882 as the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway's spur to the County Farm at Dunning, IL. It branched off from the main line just a bit northwest of the Galewood Station and ran approx. 2 1/2 miles to the Dunning Depot which once existed at Irving Park Road and 66th Avenue (present day Nashville Ave.) and then a bit further north onto the County Farm's property. The spur served the old County Poor Farm/Asylum at Dunning first, just before the Cemeteries between Irving Park and Addison were founded and before the industry along that corridor by the "Brickyard" existed. When the Scandanavian Cemetery, later called Mount Olive, opened people could ride the train from the old "Union Depot" at Canal and Adams out to the Dunning Depot to visit the cemetery as well. Then as the industries along that Nashville Ave. corridor were born, such as the old brick factory, Kimball Candy Company, etc.... they made use of that spur of track to bring in goods and supplies. This 1892 map

[url=http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/chi1890/G4104-C6-1892-R3-NW.html]Map[/url]

even shows a sort of wye configuration on the County Farm grounds negating the need to build a double track here as it would probably have been twice as costly. Lots of bits and pieces here to the story, I know, but I'm still researching and finding new clues and facts about this once useful, now almost obliterated from the landscape, little single-track spur.

AD:

Date: May 11, 2010 09:24PM

shekaago, thanks for your input. I've seen a slightly more recent map that shows the line terminating in the middle if the cemetery just North of Addison. On Chicagoswitching.com someone left a link to a pic for me. Brought back some childhood memories. Keep me informed on your research.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwdavidson/3913052227/in/set-72157621126657535/

AD:

Date: May 12, 2010 10:26PM

scottnchgo27 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as I can remember, the train tracks behind
> the BrickYard Mall were used by the Carey Brick
> Company on Fullerton and Natchez. Once the brick
> company closed, the tracks were only used between
> other factories. They contiuned just west of
> Belmont along side the Kimball Candy Company.
> There would be huge freight cars parked with corn
> syrup dripping out of the bottom. I don't think
> the trains had anything to do with the Dunning
> Mental Hospital as the tracks stopped at Addison.
> Just wondering what cemetary would have enough
> activity to require train cars stopping on the
> premises?

Funeral trains. Never heard of them until I watched Hidden Chicago.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-243-185.myvzw.com)
Date: May 13, 2010 02:41AM

Chris,thanks so much for the Flickr link. Awesome photos! Yes, way back in the day there were funeral trains. If you look up old obituaries you'll often see listed the cemetery where the deceased is to be buried and a description of how to get there. For example, "by carriage to Calvary..." or "funeral at Graceland Cemetery Chapel, Friday, April 5, 2:30 p.m. C.M. and St. P. Ry. train, 2 o'clock..." And, of course, one of the most famous funeral trains was that of Abraham Lincoln's.

[url=http://genealogytrails.com/ill/cook/obits2.html]See "HENNESSY-TIMOTHY" entry for June 1888[/url]

(Actually, on the link above, the entiries for Catherine and Grace Hennessy are good examples too.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2010 02:49AM by shekaago.

AD:

Posted by: TomB (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2012 09:56PM

You are referring to the former Milwaukee Road Dunning Line which was cut back in stages to just north of Diversey. You can still see a slight hump in Irving Park Road where the tracks once crossed the street to enter the hospital grounds.

The tracks are in place but no longer in use from where they leave the mainline and up to Diversey. The Soo Line (later absorbed by parent company CP Rail) took over the Milwaukee Road in 1985 and what was left of freight operations on the Dunning Line.

To date no official abandonment petition has been filed.

More information is available about the Dunning Line including track diagrams, a listing of customers, and historic aerial photos in the book The Milwaukee Road in Chicago which is published by the Milwaukee Road Historical Association.

www.mrha.com

This link has historic photos of the line also.

http://chicagoswitching.com/v6/articles/article.asp?menu=14&locationid=15&locationname=Dunning+Line&articleid=127

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (70.58.230.---)
Date: January 05, 2012 08:51PM

TomB: Thanks so much for the info on the Milwaukee Road book/publication!

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2012 02:28AM

Tomb,

Are you talking about the tracks that ran north next to the Brick Yard, crossing Addison and going through the cemetary up to the old Dunning Hospital?

I can remember going over the hump on Irving Park Road, and riding my dirt bike along the tracks between the cemetaries just north of Addison, west of Nagle.

I think that is all gone now, unless we are talking about different tracks. I lived near there in the 70's and 80's and know the area. When I moved there in 1968 they still had some patients in the hospital there rooming the grounds. I use to see them along Nagle north of Irving.

Ralph

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact