what was this at 79th and kostner?

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
what was this at 79th and kostner?
Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 10, 2010 02:29AM

old aerials show some sort of development just west of Pulaski on 79th, which would later become Rainey Park. 1938 aerials show nothing in the area; a substantial-sized subdivision suddenly appears in the 1951 aerial, and then disappears again in the 1962 shot, replaced by the park and the current homes just to the north. it almost looks like an army base, with long buildings along the east perimeter, and small housing filling the rest. whatever it was, sprang up during WWII and then disappeared, which makes me think it was some kind of military installation.

anyone know? i can't seem to find anything.

[url=http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=9875]79th and Kostner, 1951[/url]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: what was this at 79th and kostner?
Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 03:00AM

I found it mentioned on the Chicago Park District website which I copied in part:

"In 1942, when the U.S. Defense Department condemned the northern half of the park for a Chrysler Corporation airplane factory, the park district purchased property to the south. In late 1945, the Chicago Housing Authority leased Rainey Park to provide temporary housing for returning World War II veterans. The lease ended in December, 1956, at which time the park district sold a portion of its land to the Chicago Board of Education for the new Hancock Elementary School.

Improvements finally began at Rainey Park in 1959. Park facilities soon included a baseball diamond, tennis and horseshoe courts, and playground equipment. From the beginning, the park and the adjacent school have been jointly operated by the park district and the Board of Education. Though Hancock School closed for several years in the 1980s, the park district continued to use the building for programs, and the school has since reopened. The school gymnasium doubles as a fieldhouse for Rainey Park."

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 03:16AM

aHA! great job, wardell! thanks so much. wonder if anyone has any pics of that area?

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 12:25PM

One thing I noticed: pan up to Ford City and on top of the plant, you'll see some number markings and an arrow pointing north-northwest with 'CHICAGO' inside. Navigation aids? Equipment calibration markings?

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 02:28PM

wardell, i SAW that last night! i almost made a post about it! if you notice, it points to the northwest, which isn't toward chicago. the first thing i thought was maybe it was wartime humor to throw off any enemy air strikes? i found it rather amusing.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 11:24PM

[b]Thanks for the very interesting observations.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 12:09AM

They were quonset huts. My parents told me that when they finally tore them down, the neighborhood was infested with mice. I have pictures, although very vague, in the distance of before the school was built, but I don't see the huts.
Hancock was originally a K-5 feeder school for Stevenson which is located at 80th and Kostner. Back in the '90s, the school re-opened as Hancock HS, which pretty much was the overflow from Gage Park. After a few years and numerous problems and petitions by the neighborhood, Hancock finally closed and moved to the building that used to be Lourdes HS. Hancock (the building) is now a branch of Stevenson school and houses 7th and 8th graders. There is a new sign at the corner of 79th and Kostner with the name of Stevenson School.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 11, 2010 02:13AM

cool info, walsh. i've always had a weird little fascination with quonset huts for some reason.

thinking back again on that arrow on the roof of the ford city plant, it was probably to direct pilots toward midway. but i'd like to think it was because they wanted the Germans to bomb Lyons..

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 12:53AM

Midway was Chicago Munincipal Airport before 1945 or so. Arrow is most likely for the airport, not downtown.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 14, 2010 11:19PM

Chicago Municipal Airport was renamed Midway in 1949 in honor of the Battle of Midway, which was the turning point of the War (WW II). So, it must have been painted about that time when Midway was the busiest airport.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact