CLOCK TOWERS

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
CLOCK TOWERS
Posted by: emolek (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 01:08PM

Loved the article in the Tribune. As a 6th generation Chicago native I have many similar attachments to the secrets and history of chicagos past. One of my favorite secrets to photograph and visit have been factory - school clock towers. These are very prevalent on the northside river and ravenswood areas. You can find many of them along Ravenswood avenue and the Chicago river stemming of off Irving Park Road. My favorite is right behind a park near the boys and girls club on the east and south side of Irving Park Road. If you follow the river - and therefore industry that was built along the rivers - north along Ravenswood avenue and then riding in and out of many side streets you will find more factories along the Chicago River the clock towers ( some turned factories to condos)Will amaze you. Best kept secret and a great treasure hun. Having married a South sider I have found a few that rival this area. Also you can head south and find many more thru past addison etc.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: CLOCK TOWERS
Posted by: casey eng 30 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 06:57PM

emolek

those clock towers you refer to were used to enclose water tanks that supplied fire sprinkler systems and protected them from freezing.

AD:

Posted by: chuck (---.176.244.66.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 07:37PM

I was never aware of this until I started poking around abadoned buildings!!

This one is on the south side...

Chuck
http://www.chucksphotospot.com

AD:

Posted by: XxxMonoxidechild (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 08:08PM

on taller buildings that would have water pressure issues, they would mount tanks like that on the roof with its own pump to keep the water pressure up on the upper levels.

AD:

Posted by: emolek (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 05:57PM

How cool, I never knew that they housed water tanks. What a nice way to hide them. Some of the towers I mentioned are very ornate and have some great design elements to them. What a great photo of the water tank. I am now interested in the others I have only photographed from the exterior. Which was about 10 years ago.

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 12:11AM

They did indeed house water tanks (to maintain standpipe pressure for fire protection), but also the clocks were there for a very important reason: in an age when many people lived within walking distance of their jobs (or at least a streetcar ride away), not everybody could afford a watch.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact