Wentworth Farmhouse

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Wentworth Farmhouse
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 09:27AM

While on my first reconnoiterer of my new neighborhood on a Halloween night in 1952, I happened to walked past a two-story frame house on the northeast corner of Harlem Avenue and 55th Street. I stopped and lingered awhile to look at this strange and startling large house; every room of which had its lights on, but the house appeared to be unoccupied. I was puzzled then by this house that seemed out of place and time, and unaware then that it was once the farmhouse of John Wentworth.

Many years later, I learned this about Wentworth:

1815 -- Born in New Hampshire

1836 -- Arrived in Chicago and becomes editor of the first Chicago newspaper, the Democrat.

1843 -- Elected to the U.S. House of Representatives, and served six terms until 1855.

1857 and 1860 -- Mayor of Chicago.

1868 -- The year that the farmhouse was built, but Wentworth chose to live at the Sherman House Hotel.

Photographs and drawings of the farmhouse --- click on "next--->"
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=john%20wentworth%20farmhouse&sg=true

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/il0496.photos.061789p/resource/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 05:29PM by nordsider.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Wentworth Farmhouse
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2013 03:40PM

[b]Thanks for the information. I wondered about that building and when wa it taken down. I don't think there is a trace of it left.[/b]

AD:

Date: March 18, 2013 08:03AM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the information. I wondered about that
> building and when wa it taken down. I don't think
> there is a trace of it left.

Richard,
Wentworth's farmhouse was torn down in 1968.

AD:

Posted by: bowler (---.chipublib.org)
Date: March 22, 2013 07:54PM

Wentworth's Farmhouse was built in 1868 and stood at the corner of modern day Archer and Harlem. Wentowrth began buying up "canal land" that was originally being sold to finance the building of the I&M Canal. He eventually amassed 4700 acres of land comprising most of modern day Garfield Ridge, Clearing and Summit. He built his farmhouse as the crown jewel of his "Summit Farm" where he raised blooded cattle. He also leased much of his land to truck farmer who farmed the "Mud Lake" land.

Wentworth would live at the Sherman Hotel and head out to his farm via the canal or the Chicago and Alton Railroad. He would entertain dignitaries. After his death in 1888 his lands were controlled by his nephew Moses who sold the farmhouse to a former farmhand Cyrus Parlin. The Parlin family owned the house until it's demolition in April of 1968. According to the Parlin family, the house had fallen into disrepair and still had coal heating in 1968,

It is featured in several books of famous houses in Illinois.

The address was 5441 S. Harlem, later to become 5441 S Neva as the streets in the area were subdivided.

For more info see:
http://garfieldridgehistory.weebly.com/long-john-wentworth.html

Or visit the Clear-Ridge Historical Society Facebook site. Email the society at clearridgehistory@yahoo.com for more information as well.

AD:

Date: March 24, 2013 08:03AM

I have a letter written by John Wentworth. The letter, dated Washington, July 18, 1855; presumably written when he was a congressman. Wentworth's mid-19th century handwriting style is somewhat difficult to decipher, but he was writing to someone who had not paid $720 owed to him. The letter paper has a small embossed image of the Washington Capital building and is in remarkably good condition. A fine bit of memorabilia of the tough old boy.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2013 08:23PM

Too bad couldnt be saved,

AD:

Date: March 25, 2013 08:16PM

tomcat630 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad couldnt be saved,

It was located where the rear end of a Wallgreens Pharmacy stands now.

Wentworth as mayor, once ordered the tear down of buildings in the notorious Sands, where the Tribune Tower now stands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 06:26AM by nordsider.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact