Baar's Dime Store in Washington Heights

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Baar's Dime Store in Washington Heights
Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:35PM

I remember Baar's well. It was located at what is now the 103rd street overpass of I-57. I grew up in that area during the 50s and 60s and still drive by there regularly. Baars was at the east end of the Washington Heights business district. In a one block stretch there must have been 4 or 5 taverns, at least 2 diners (Helen's Home Cooking located next to the Rock Island tracks was my favorite), two meat markets, a bakery and several other small business including a boat store. The south side of the street was demolished for Julian High School. Most of the buildings on the north side remain standing, but are either vacant, store-front churches or day-care centers.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Baar's Dime Store in Washington Heights
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 09:24PM

103rd and what? I try to picture it.[b][/b]

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 11:38PM

I should have been more specific. Baar's Dime Store would have been just east of 103rd & Elizabeth (1200 west). The Washington Heights business district would have run from 103rd and Vincennes on the west to just East of Elizabeth.

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: February 05, 2013 11:48AM

My Grandfather opened the store in 1944. He lost a big job at the Fair Store downtown when Montgomery Ward bought the Fair, and he went into business for himself. It was [i]not[/i] a great time for a middle aged guy to open a small Dime store because there were so few consumer items to sell. Everything was war production, but he had many contacts from having been a buyer with the Fair and was able to stock the store. It closed in the early 60s when the Dan Ryan expressway was built. I think I have a picture of the exterior of the store and will scan and post it. I remember a more modern building so I don't know if they built something else close by.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2013 12:15PM by Bill_Baar.

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: February 05, 2013 11:50AM

Interior of the store http://baarswestside.blogspot.com/2005/12/baars-five-and-dime-1260-w-103rd-st.html

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact