crazy old ladies who had a junk store

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
crazy old ladies who had a junk store
Posted by: liz (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: July 08, 2010 03:43AM

anyone remember the old ladies who ran the junk store on wilson avenue near leavitt they lived in a house by the alley.the junk store was in bottom of house .they lived upstairs. piles of junk everywhere dishes, books,clothes,a shelf with jars of buttons.I once found a pair of mens old spats there. they ran the place in the 60s
who has a crazy old lady/man junk store story.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: crazy old ladies who had a junk store
Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2010 09:14PM

Well it's not a crazy man story, but around 1959 or so I was in a pretty cool shop like that. It was owned by Max Marek; Max was a boxer in the '30's and among other, later, enterprises he ran a second hand/junk shop on Archer Ave. just east of Kedzie. Even at the age of ten I recognized that he had loads of antiques and collectibles in there.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 01:26AM

[b]Max Marek also had a tavern on the north west corner of 63rd & Wolcott. The sign across the window said "Max Marek the men who beat Joe Louis". That was in the early 50's I used to ride past there on my bike. I'll look in google street view and see if the building is still there.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2010 01:28AM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: celticjunker1 (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 08:12AM

There's nothing like a crazy lady with a junk store.

AD:

Posted by: backwardk4501 (---.fuse.net)
Date: April 06, 2012 12:02AM

I always heard about some old guy who had a junk shop/small yard on 35th and Normal....on the NE corner,just west of the overpass...(where one of the White Sox parking lots is now). My dad was a just a kid when he went there with his siblings and parents for shoes or odds and ends....they referred to the guy who ran it as Joe the Junker....that is all they knew him (and his place) by when he was a kid, so he does not remember the actual name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2012 03:14PM by backwardk4501.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact