WOOD BLOCK STREET PAVERS

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
WOOD BLOCK STREET PAVERS
Posted by: MSG (---.chipublib.org)
Date: August 06, 2011 07:29PM

Last night(August 5, 2011) I walked by the Cardinal's house at North Avenue and North State Parkway, and I noticed in the alley behind the Cardinal's house they are currently replacing the wood block pavers so well described in Sergeii's article. I picked up one block-it is a massive 4x5 by about 12 inches. Really cool, and they made a large cement fram of about the width of the alley and about 60 feet long, so the new block pavers should staywell preserved for at least 50 years.
Michael

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: WOOD BLOCK STREET PAVERS
Posted by: BTRIPP (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2011 04:13AM

Here's a pic I took a few years back of some of the pavers in that alley ... http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=BTRIPP&pid=177458&sid=eyV55dgtU1

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 09:26PM

[b]Great pictures.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2011 01:40PM

There's an article in the Skyline about the alley

http://www.skylinenewspaper.com/News/08-10-2011/Wood_block_alley_restored_

AD:

Posted by: BTRIPP (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2011 04:40PM

Re. "Great pictures."

THANKS!

AD:

Posted by: shekaago (---.sub-75-211-149.myvzw.com)
Date: September 02, 2011 01:36AM

Great photos and interesting article! I worked at 160 E. Illinois Street many, many years ago when it was just an old, 6-story brick building and there was a wood-block alley running along the north side of the building. I wish I had thought to take some pictures of it way back when. The old building is now long gone, replaced by a highrise of condos but the alley is still there and the wood blocks may still exist under a coating of asphalt.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact