Old Newspaper boxes/detritus Illinois and New Street

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Old Newspaper boxes/detritus Illinois and New Street
Posted by: jclillig (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 05:10AM

On Saturday 7/17/10 I was walking by a vacant lot at the SW corner of Illinois and New Street. The lot is surrounded by about 6-ft high fence covered with opaque cloth of some kind. On the Illinois side there is a driveway cut in the sidewalk and a gate and opening in the fence.

As I walked by this opening, I saw about 5 or 6 newspaper boxes, and noticed that at least a few of them were from old, defunct newspapers: there was a green Chicago American box and one for The National Sports Daily, which I think went out of business in the early '90's. Both of these boxes still contained newspapers. There also appeared to be an old mailbox. The rest of the lot contained lots of other piles of junk, but nothing identifiable like the newspaper boxes.

Note that these were not replicas - they were worn and rusted and the newspapers in them were yellowed.

I stopped and started to go past the fence to try to examine the boxes more closely, but was stopped by a security guard who was outside on the street. I later thought about going back and trying to sneak in but saw the guard vigilantly stopping other people, so I declined.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed any light on these boxes or the happenings at this strange lot.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old Newspaper boxes/detritus Illinois and New Street
Posted by: nvaughn (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 09:32AM

I believe you stumbled upon one of the storage lots/prop yards for Transformers 3:

http://gapersblock.com/merge/archives/2010/07/14/check-out-the-wreckage/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deadhorse/tags/transformers3/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 10:07AM by nvaughn.

AD:

Posted by: ChicagoJoe (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 09:40PM

The National Sports Daily started in 1990 and lasted just 16 months. The Chicago American was started in 1900 by Randolph Hearst. Back then it was called Hearst’s Chicago American and had several name changes. The Chicago Tribune bought the Hearst newspaper in 1956 and re-named it the Chicago’s American. The Tribune re-named it the Chicago Today in 1969. My guess is that the boxes may pop up on e-bay someday.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 11:44PM

The Chicago American/Today were afternoon papers, along with the Chicago Daily News. TV evening news took business away from them.

Maybe we will see these old boxes in T3?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact