google books can be a wealth of obscure info

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
google books can be a wealth of obscure info
Posted by: crowamonghens (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 12, 2010 01:21AM

if you're looking for any kind of historical info, "Google Books" is a great feature to check with, if nothing comes up in a conventional websearch. thousands of books, documents and publications are there in a searchable database, some full-view, some partial, some as snippets. when i could come up with virtually nothing about that old Isolation Hospital at 35th and Lawndale, i found a relative treasure trove on Google Books.

when i noticed a neighborhood of densely-packed diagonal streets showing up on pre-1871 maps, just northwest of where Bridgeport is, i was curious what it was called and what became of it. turns out it was the proposed town of Canalport, which was platted but never built. even the Encyclopedia of Chicago website didn't have any info on that - but Google Books had a legal document from 1865.

try it out.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: google books can be a wealth of obscure info
Posted by: shekaago (---.tmodns.net)
Date: April 04, 2010 06:03PM

Thanks so much for the info, "Crow." I often run into dead ends when searching for historical data on Chicago. I know some of the subjects I research are fairly obscure but I think... someone, somewhere must have some knowledge! I will check Google Books out.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact