A city block in Chinatown

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
A city block in Chinatown
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 09:33PM

While time traveling old Chicago, as I wont to do, I discovered on an 1886 map, an interesting city block, just east of the south branch of the river, and Archer Avenue; which is now bordered by the streets: Normal, 24th Place and Canal, and on its south side, the Stevenson Expressway.

The map: http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/11064.html
Volume 2 -- plate 19

Shown on the map, within the block, are the words: "Consumer Gas Light & Fuel Company", and an outline of what appears to be two large circles that represent gas holding tanks next to Canal Street (was Hanover St.); and various buildings of the company.

On the 24th Place Street, and near Normal Street (was Butler St.), a canal ends, that connected it to the river, running under a bridge on Archer. The block's southern street boundary is shown as 25th street; which is now part of the Stevenson.

At the SE corner of Canal and 24th place, directly across from the gas holding tanks, is the "St. Anthony Church," and on the NE corner, a "German School."

From my research, I found that St. Anthony of Padua, was built in 1873 to 1879, and had to be moved in 1913, when a railroad right-of -way was widened.

Also, from my research, the "Consumer Gas Light & Fuel Company was incorporated in 1849 was given he exclusive right to manufacture, distribute and sell gas in the city of Chicago . . . and in 1882, the city granted the company the right to construct, maintain and operate gas works within the city; and right to lay mains, feeders and pipes in all avenues, streets and alleys, and public buildings in the city for lighting and fuel purposes."

I do not know when the gas works ended its production of manufactured gas, however, a Google Street View in 2011, now show an high rise apartment building on its old location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2013 12:21AM by nordsider.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: A city block in Chinatown
Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 04:22PM

Yeah, that high-rise is the Appleville Condominiums, which was built in the early/mid eighties. I think the lot was vacant for years before that - it's readily visible from the westbound Stevenson to northbound Dan Ryan ramp.

AD:

Date: December 11, 2013 03:41PM

I am very curious about the history -- for a lack of a better term -- of the land use within this block. The 1886 map shows "Consumer Gas Light & Fuel Company", however, I wonder how long did it operate there, beyond 1886.

The 1930 Census of Ward 1, Enumeration District 16, which includes this block; provides no information whatever.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-79.myvzw.com)
Date: December 11, 2013 04:18PM

nordsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am very curious about the history -- for a lack
> of a better term -- of the land use within this
> block. The 1886 map shows "Consumer Gas Light &
> Fuel Company", however, I wonder how long did it
> operate there, beyond 1886.
>
> The 1930 Census of Ward 1, Enumeration District
> 16, which includes this block; provides no
> information whatever.

Consulting several years of the Sanborn maps would probably help. Gas producer plants would figure prominently is fire protection maps.

AD:

Date: December 11, 2013 06:16PM

Jeff, Thanks for the suggestion. I would need help.

I am also puzzled by street guides that give Canal Street's location at 500 West, and Normal at 501 W and 504 W; and yet a building located about mid block, between Canal and Normal, on the north side of 24th Place is, 454 West 24th Place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 06:24PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-66.myvzw.com)
Date: December 11, 2013 08:26PM

nordsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeff, Thanks for the suggestion. I would need
> help.
>
> I am also puzzled by street guides that give Canal
> Street's location at 500 West, and Normal at 501 W
> and 504 W; and yet a building located about mid
> block, between Canal and Normal, on the north side
> of 24th Place is, 454 West 24th Place.

You're quite welcome!

Here's a thread on the Sanborn fire maps:

http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/1/12085/sanborn_fire_maps

The difference in the street numbers may have been due to changes in the street numbering system, but I can't be sure.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact