Pierce Tower Demolition

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Pierce Tower Demolition
Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 12, 2013 04:23PM

For those of you interested, the very last bits of Harry Weese's Pierce Tower dormitory on the U of C campus are about to be demolished.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Pierce Tower Demolition
Posted by: QlassiQue (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 12, 2013 11:20PM

Thanks for posting - I rode by there on my bike a few months back and it was well on its way to being demolished. Sad to see another Harry Weese building gone in his hometown.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (199.101.76.---)
Date: November 13, 2013 10:39AM

Too bad its only problem was not being designed by Jeanne Gang.

AD:

Date: November 14, 2013 05:03PM

That's pretty much it - "plumbing problems" isn't exactly a reason for whole sale demolition. I can understand la Gang making work for herself, but it would have been more interesting to have completed the complex (there were supposed to be two towers originally, a theme in Hyde Park, the lone tall building in 56th between Kenwood and Kimbark was supposed to have gotten a twin in '30, but well, '29 happened).

AD:

Date: November 25, 2013 04:26PM

Still not entirely gone if anyone wants some last minute photographs.

AD:

Date: December 02, 2013 03:41PM

Still just a bit left, will probably be gone by end of week (wish I'd had a camera with me yesterday). Only two or three buildings left in demo area south of 55th and East of Cottage too. I think those are staying, at least two or three of them. Wonder how the hospital will work around them.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact