Pending Demolition

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Pending Demolition
Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 03, 2013 04:16PM

According to Hyde Park's Finest News Source (it's not far off the Onion to be honest, at times), these lovely greystones are in imminent danger of demolition.

http://hpherald.com/2013/10/01/antheus-to-demolish-greystones/

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Pending Demolition
Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: October 03, 2013 05:03PM

I was wondering what was going on with those. Thanks.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: October 04, 2013 01:21PM

Meant to add...always funny when developers claim a building is beyond reuse and needs demolition, when it would somehow seem less patronizing if they just came out and said they wanted to tear it down without the extra justification.

I drove by these buildings yesterday and they certainly seem in better condition that fully-occupied buildings in neighborhoods south and west of there.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-75-241-131.myvzw.com)
Date: October 04, 2013 03:40PM

WayOutWardell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meant to add...always funny when developers claim
> a building is beyond reuse and needs demolition,
> when it would somehow seem less patronizing if
> they just came out and said they wanted to tear it
> down without the extra justification.
>
> I drove by these buildings yesterday and they
> certainly seem in better condition that
> fully-occupied buildings in neighborhoods south
> and west of there.

Looks can be deceiving. Our bungalow may be the oldest on our block, if not one of the oldest, but it's falling apart. The people we bought it from did everything on the cheap, and it would have to be gutted and rehabbed after we move out, or torn down and replaced. But it looks ok from the outside. Those sturdy walls may hide too many things to rehab to make it worthwhile to do so. It is, however, the owner's perogative as to what to do with one's property, sadly.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-75-205-233.myvzw.com)
Date: October 04, 2013 06:19PM

Another thing I should mention is that the owners may have a lawsuit or three on their hands if the buildin really [u]is[/u] rat infested. The City Building and Health Departments should force them to have an eradication done before demolition, otherwise the little "darlings" would move in to the surrounding buildings in search of new digs.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 05, 2013 11:32AM

Here's hoping at least some of the good ornament gets salvaged. I was really surprised to see that the U of C did that when they knocked down the block of houses at 56th & Maryland.

AD:

Posted by: Sit and Stew (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 06, 2013 01:51AM

The U of C is unstoppable when they want something. One name comes to mind, Julian Levi.

Can't these properties get expedited to the Chicago save list, maybe get on the orange list at least? HP is such a vulnerable community, I'd suggest that perhaps U of C start looking at properties on the N end of Woodlawn from the old power plant on Harper to Ellis. Any late 10's early 20's 8 flat walkups they should look into. Maybe save them for student housing?

BTW, where do the faculty live now? Dorchester Apts, off Greenwood? Kinda drying up...

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 06, 2013 01:06PM

It would seem they're on the same wavelength as you, Stew. Just a couple of weeks ago, both the apartment building at 60th and Woodlawn (1893) and the Ina Robertson house at 6042 S. Kimbark (where the Doomsday Clock was later born) were both demolished, leaving a nice square block of vacant land on the south end of campus.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-75-207-201.myvzw.com)
Date: October 06, 2013 09:18PM

Sit and Stew Wrote:
> The U of C is unstoppable when they want
> something. One name comes to mind, Julian Levi.
>
> Can't these properties get expedited to the
> Chicago save list, maybe get on the orange list at
> least? HP is such a vulnerable community, I'd
> suggest that perhaps U of C start looking at
> properties on the N end of Woodlawn from the old
> power plant on Harper to Ellis. Any late 10's
> early 20's 8 flat walkups they should look into.
> Maybe save them for student housing?
>
> BTW, where do the faculty live now? Dorchester
> Apts, off Greenwood? Kinda drying up...

Well, if UC wants student housing, they will need to have an up-to-date electrical system, phone lines, data lines, fire protection, HVAC, and plumbing. If you are relying on alumni contribution, the "edifice complex" comes in to play, where you get your name on a brand-spanking-new building. Unless, of course, you may have lived in this building as a tenant and had good memories, which may be unlikely.

The University would have to have the building gutted and completely rehabbed, which may be more expensive for a turn-of-the last-century graystone than just building a new structure. You have to bring some materials up to code, remove things like gas light piping and knob-and-tube wiring, add insulation, etc. Unless they had a good source of funds, and some mandate to update an old building (like an organization that does it for a living), they would probably rather have a empty space they could build new stuff on later, sad to say.

AD:

Date: October 07, 2013 12:48PM

A large number of faculty don't live in HP because it's not "pc" enough for them or it's too "unsafe"...

The little greystones on Harper are a bit too far from campus for the University to be particularly interested in buying them. They are building massive residential complexes for students since they are trying to drastically increase the undergraduate population (where the bucks are) and the millenials need fancy dorms.

The hospital got rather a black eye from the demolitions between 57th and 56th - particularly since the new building is ugly and the demolitions were for a parking structure. In fact, they couldn't even got things coordinated internally - the new Logan Arts Center was supposed to have loop views from the upper floors but the (hideous in my opinion) new hospital blocks the views. At least you get to watch the helicopter landings.

AD:

Date: October 09, 2013 04:18PM

Maybe if new construction is proposed in North Woodlawn, it would be nice if such projects would be an effective catalyst to help clean the community up and make at least part of Woodlawn just like HP is now. But there seems to be a stigma present being south of the Midway. Burton-Judson is "the Ghetto", and I've talked to people who said the Lorado Taft studio is in a bad area. Ingleside is a nice stretch. Is it just people being lazy and not wanting to cross the street, or is it more than that?

There is plenty of viable land if the University takes a genuine interest in the stretch beyond 60th st. From Cottage Grove to Woodlawn is basically all UC facilities. Extend that to Dorchester to the E, and 62nd to the S, and you might have something going.

I doubt you'll ever see anything going as far south as 63rd: the travel to the center campus is too far, and that would affect extant businesses and zoning on 63rd.

I know it's a pipe dream, but someone could make it viable.

AD:

Date: October 09, 2013 04:25PM

davey7 Wrote:
> A large number of faculty don't live in HP because
> it's not "pc" enough for them or it's too
> "unsafe"...
>
> The little greystones on Harper are a bit too far
> from campus for the University to be particularly
> interested in buying them. They are building
> massive residential complexes for students since
> they are trying to drastically increase the
> undergraduate population (where the bucks are) and
> the millenials need fancy dorms.
>
> The hospital got rather a black eye from the
> demolitions between 57th and 56th - particularly
> since the new building is ugly and the demolitions
> were for a parking structure. In fact, they
> couldn't even got things coordinated internally -
> the new Logan Arts Center was supposed to have
> loop views from the upper floors but the (hideous
> in my opinion) new hospital blocks the views. At
> least you get to watch the helicopter landings.

I remember a lot of faculty used to live in the Dorchester high rise, and those were luxury units. A lot of the old turn-of the century homes on 54th and Greenwood were popular too, as was a stretch on Woodlawn.

51st and Harper is a little too far, you're right. I don't think that demolishing one of HPs few remaining 1880s historic greystones will solve anything, but thats my not-so-humble opinion....

AD:

Date: October 09, 2013 08:04PM

Woodlawn residents have been dead set against any university "incursions" south of 61st Street so there is very little U of C development there, look at all the fuss when they bought property in Washington Park a year or two ago.

I'm not sure which "Dorchester high-rise" you are talking about - there are two University owned rentals on Dorchester in the 5800 block, the Stein Tower (aka Dorchester Apartments) and the Cloisters, both heavily faculty, but that's only a small portion of faculty/staff (they are all big units). The high rise at 56th and Dorchester is rental and mostly students.

AD:

Date: October 12, 2013 09:02PM

davey7 Wrote:
> Woodlawn residents have been dead set against any
> university "incursions" south of 61st Street so
> there is very little U of C development there,
> look at all the fuss when they bought property in
> Washington Park a year or two ago.
>
> I'm not sure which "Dorchester high-rise" you are
> talking about - there are two University owned
> rentals on Dorchester in the 5800 block, the Stein
> Tower (aka Dorchester Apartments) and the
> Cloisters, both heavily faculty, but that's only a
> small portion of faculty/staff (they are all big
> units). The high rise at 56th and Dorchester is
> rental and mostly students.

I'm thinking of the Stein Building. Circa 1967-1968, blockish in style, maybe 12 stories?

So that leaves 11 blocks roughly of potential land-grabs, 50th to 61st.

Has anyone ever talked about Oakland/North Kenwood at all? I know that is off subject, but there's been some sold renewal going on there and you got solid transportation from Drexel to Lake Park. I watched them knock down a bunch of old late 1880's rowhouses on Oakenwald around 43 to 45th, and now these "disasters in Cubism" have sprung up with $700k starting price tags. What cannot be effectively saved or rebuilt could be possible alternatives. (As long as threy keep their mitts off that Brownstone at 44th and Ellis, and the oldies with Mansard Rooves in that area. Not much of the 1870s left that way :(

AD:

Date: October 21, 2013 06:53PM

Oh Dorchester Apartments, yes, the Stein Tower, one of the few brutalist buildings in Chicago (and even fewer among SOM's production). That and the Cloisters next door are rental buildings owned by the University. That was designed by Skidmore and won AIA awards at the time - 68 I believe.

It's unlikely the University would try and buy any more property within the main parts of HP, too expensive and too much pushback.

Oakland has pretty much built up over the past 15 years. There are no vacant lots left (or at least available for sale) and once the economy recovers further those will likely be built on. It's attracted many new to the south side residents.

AD:

Posted by: HOLTANEK (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 01:26PM

I recently was driving thru the South side/west Washington park area and saw a number of houses with a Red X sign. I found out that this designates houses to be demolished. Heck, the area just west of Washington park has had hundreds of buildings demolished over the years and now resembles a wasteland.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact