Chicago Gospel Tabernacle

Forgotten Chicago Sightings Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Noticed something interesting? Let us know about it! 
Chicago Gospel Tabernacle
Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2013 10:42AM

I came across the history of the Chicago Gospel Tabernacle building at Clark, Barry & Halsted, found was one of the city's first 'megachurches' and even had a live remote broadcast every weekday morning on WLS.

Interestingly, the building is still standing (the congregation moved out in 1979) and it is now used by Walgreens and Petco.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago Gospel Tabernacle
Date: August 31, 2013 11:35AM

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821940@N00/9619467895/]Chicago Gospel Tabernacle, 1958[/url]

AD:

Posted by: QlassiQue (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2013 01:00AM

This is definitely news to me - I can remember back in the day when this building housed a Butera.

This is a really great discovery - thanks for posting!

AD:

Posted by: grams46 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 03:02AM

I attended this Church From about 1954 thru 1964. I remember they moved out of the building and was meeting at a church around Sheffield and School St. I have a lot of fond memories of going to that church and the youth groups they had. Pastor Wally White was the minister during that time. Brings back a lot of nice memories.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: December 11, 2013 05:55PM

I had always wondered exactly where the Chicago Gospel Tabernacle was located. I believe it was founded by Rev. Paul Rader, who was pastor of Moody Church back in the teens and early twenties, and who eventually left there because the church did not want to affiliate with the Christian and Missionary Alliance. I had heard about the meetings at the Chicago Gospel Tabernacle from a friend of mine who grew up in the area, and he told me that they used to lead marches through the area calling people to join them at the church. I understand that the area was called "Snug Harbor," and a lot of sailors from the lakes ships lived in the area during the winter season when navigation was closed. Drinking was rampant back then, and a lot of the outreach was directed toward this community.

AD:

Posted by: emilyrose (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2014 11:56PM

Thanks for the info, "WayOutWardell," but are you sure it's the same building? When I go as far as I can with Google maps view, the back of the building does look old, but the front looks nothing like the tabernacle building. (Paul Rader, the evangelist who preached there, was my great uncle.)

AD:

Date: March 14, 2014 01:34AM

emilyrose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info, "WayOutWardell," but are you
> sure it's the same building? When I go as far as I
> can with Google maps view, the back of the
> building does look old, but the front looks
> nothing like the tabernacle building. (Paul Rader,
> the evangelist who preached there, was my great
> uncle.)

Neat!

The building has been retail for a long time, so the front (the part facing the parking lot) has obviously been altered quite a bit - it looks like the entrances to the stores have been added where there were none before.

However, if you enter the intersection into Street View and head just slightly west on Barry, the shape of the old building is very apparent; compare to the 1958 photo above. Historic Aerials shows the identical roof/footprint from early days until now.
Also, the shape of the building (bow-truss roof, for example) is not how modern retail buildings are built.

I'd even go so far as to say if one removed the brown siding above the new storefront there would still exist remnants of the painted sign for the tabernacle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 01:38AM by WayOutWardell.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact