First Pizzaria

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
First Pizzaria
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2013 07:48PM

Vincent (Jimmy) Bruno Giovanni opened the first Pizzaria in "The Loop" in Chicago at 421 S. Wabash Ave, the Yacht Club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pizza

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: First Pizzaria
Posted by: Scottsdale Guy (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2013 03:03PM

That's very interesting. I always thought NYC was the first in the USA in regards to pizza availability. We have the best pizza, AND we were the first in the USA!

AD:

Posted by: ChicagoHal (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 05:36PM

I think the first post is saying that it was the first pizza place in the Loop, not in that the first pizza place in the United States was opened in the Loop.

My dentist's father was written up in the Parade magazine (or whatever it was called at the time) for opening what was claimed to be the first Chinese restaurant in Chicago that delivered. He said that when he was a small child, he would stand on a couple phone books and work the register.

AD:

Date: January 22, 2013 07:37PM

Yeah, the article does not really clarify who was actually or literally the first place in the USA to sell pizza by any name, but we were mentioned in the 1904 article in regards to the actual product first being offered for sale by the same name here("pizza") in the Chicago "Loop", versus 1905 for NYC.

AD:

Date: January 22, 2013 08:07PM

Or to put this another way, one of Lombardi's(who also claim to be America's "first" pizzeria) employees started making pizza in 1905 according to the same article, and our guys were already making pizza in 1903 or 1904 in the "Loop" pizzaria according to the same article.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 11:16PM

I've also read that immigrant men from Naples Italy pushed homemade carts by Taylor and Racine, selling pizza as early as the 1890s: the carts equipped with copper washtubs with small bits of charcoal underneath. See: Oldest Chicago by David Anthony Witter

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact