Dick Tracey and Too Young To Drink Beer

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Dick Tracey and Too Young To Drink Beer
Posted by: tomc (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 01:01AM

As teenagers,we were too young to walk into a liquor store and buy beer, The purchase was made by proxy or, according to today's terminolgy, "straw purchase". In other words,for a couple of dollars, an adult would make the purchase and give it to us.
As we exited the school's recreation hall, we were faced by a sqad car backing up the street with doors open and another cop running down the sidewalk yelling,"stop or I shoot." With that, the policeman fired a shot in the air and the person stopped and put his hands up.Suddenly,we recognized our friend Pat. As it happened, Pat attempted to make a "straw purchase" and the guy hept the money instead.Not willing to accept it, Pat pulled out a windup Dick Tracey gun that shot sparks and said,"The money or the beer." The man,thinking the gun was real, said,OK" and then went in and called the police instead. Now,the chase began. The parish priest went to the precint to rescue Pat. When he arrived, Pat had the police lined up against the wall and while pointing the DicK Tracey gun at them he said,ala James Cagney, "One move from you dirty screws and I will blow your heads off." The outcome was that Pat had to give up the Dick Tracey gun and told us the story the next day in class. Such was life in Woodlawn during the good old days before The Black P Stone Rangers moved in.

TomC The Kid From Woodlawn

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Dick Tracey and Too Young To Drink Beer
Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 02:51PM

When I was in HS, there was liquor store on the corner of Irving and Kedzie where the gent behind the counter had thick glasses and 1 eye that pointed about 45 degrees to the side. One of my buddies who had a receding hairline and looked about 30 at age 18 would collect the money from the rest of us and make the buy. Then, we'd sit on someone's parents' front porch and drink quietly.
I also recall a place on the South Side by the name of Gill's where there was a pickup window in the alley where you could buy beer by the gallon jug and age wasn't a concern. IIRC, it was brewed on premesis and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.
Never did anything stupid to get involved with the police, thank goodness.

AD:

Re: Dick Tracey and Too Young To Drink Beer
Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 06:48AM

Today, Pat would have got about ten years, if he wasn't shot on sight.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact