the kid from woodlawn

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
the kid from woodlawn
Posted by: tomc (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:51PM

read the kid from woodlawn as published in the university of vhicago maroon.
Tom C

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: the kid from woodlawn
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 10:22PM

[b]Tell us more OK?[/b]

AD:

Date: December 19, 2012 10:46PM

Richard,I am pleased that you liked my story, but I am about to tun out of gas;that is unless you would want to read my book.Its free on the Internet and runs 283 pages. On the other hand you people have been very helpful to me with your posts. I have been able to take a step back in time and some of the remembrances that all of you peopople have provided almost bring me to tears. I will turn 80 years old this coming year and most of my friends and places that I once new are gone. I asked my father one time,"How do you know when you are old?" Being the great philosopher that he was, he replied,"I guess that you could say that when all your friends are dead." Now I know what he meant.

Tom C

AD:

Date: December 19, 2012 10:55PM

[b]Thanks for the reply Tom. I am 76 years old and I know what you are saying because it's the same for me. I'm not from Woodlawn but am familiar with that area. I'm from back of the yards and brighton park now in Oak Lawn. I will see about the book. Woodlawn is a facinating area of Chicago and Hyde Park also. What do you know about South Parkway or Grand Boulevard?[/b]

AD:

Date: December 19, 2012 11:18PM

To Richard, Hi Old Timer. I know a bit about back of the yards. We once lived at 55th and Bishop which is on the border. Grand Blvd is foreign territory to me. On the other hand, South Parkway, as my mother once told me, was a beautiful place. A lot of rich people once lived there including the Marx brothers. When my father first came to Chicago he worked for Railway Express as a runner for the deliveryman . This was prior to UPS and FedX. Rhey used horse and buggies in those days and they always used kids to run the packages to the houses;especially the meatpacking owners. One modern day occupant was Mohammond Ali, formerly Cassius Clay, who,by the way,I met and have aotographed book signed by him. I showed it to a Black guy that I know and he said,"do you know what this worth?" I sdaid, Indeed I do, indeed, I do."

Tom C

AD:

Date: December 20, 2012 09:49PM

[b]Grand blvd. is the original name of South park blvd. Many famos people lived there. Many famose intertainers performed and got their start at the Regal theater at 47th & South Park now King drive. It's ashame to see all the buildings burned down or taken down from the old nieghborhoods we knewand so many people that past away. My dad came from Goose Island at Division And Hickory.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 12:35PM

I have question that perhaps TonC fan answer. Do you remember a restaurant on 63rd near Stony Island or maybe Cottage Grove called the Esquire? My earliest memories of going out with my parents or grandparents are of going there. Nobody else seems toremember it. It was popular and people always talked about how good the food was. This would have been in the late 40's.

AD:

Date: December 22, 2012 08:43PM

Sorry Jac,but in the late 40's I was still an eat at home kid and do't recall that particular resturant.
TomC

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact