Braverman's Cafeteria

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Braverman's Cafeteria
Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 06:02PM

My Dad took me to Braverman's on Chicago Ave just west of Ashland probably around 1974. It had just been reviewed in the Trib or Sun Times. My Dad had corned beef on rye, and I had brisket but my favorite was the potato pancakes. I never had anything to quite match what they offered at Braverman's.

Anyways, here's the [url=http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chicagotribune/obituary.aspx?pid=157065774]legacy book for Sam Braverman[/url] . He passed just this past March.

As I recall after the Cafeteria on Chicago Ave closed, some of the employees opened another one by the Illinois Athletic club on the near north side. The food was just as good but the neighborhood didn't have the same feel.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Braverman's Cafeteria
Posted by: Deejo (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 01:47AM

One of my earliest memories is driving with my Dad late at night from our house near Laramie and Lake to pick up corned beef sandwiches to go from Braverman's. This would have been a few years before you, Bill, probably around 1970. I still remember the smell of the corned beef and the feeling that I was doing something pretty cool.

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: December 25, 2012 02:14AM

[b][color=#FF3300] i also remember bravermans restaurant on chicago avd i think it was down the street from goldblats deptartment store. the worst problem was the fact there was no parking on chicago ave. & it was tough to get in there. if you wanted a super large tasty corned beef that was the place to go. yum[/color][/b]

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.tic.va.gov)
Date: December 27, 2012 05:33PM

I did a search of the Chicago Trib through my local Library. There's an ad under the by line of a Sally McCormik in the Apr 22, 1971 paper. Braverman's had been owned by Mr Zenon Pappas for two years by then. This was propably the ad that prompted my Dad to drive us down there for a sandwich.

Cheap Eats in the Apr 13, 1979 Trib has a review of the Braverman's relocated to 441 N. Wabash as Braverman's Court Club Deli. I remember going there for lunch and thinking it was out of place in an athletic club. The food was just the same as what they served on Chicago Ave.

Yes, there was Goldblatts accross the street. I think that building is still there. Parking was tough and I would park on some of the side streets. I knew a guy who had bought a three flat a few blocks further west and remember going to some parties there. He told us the building would be a good investment which none of us really believed then.

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: December 27, 2012 06:02PM

[i][size=medium][/size][/i]THOSE WERE THE DAYS. CORNED BEEF WAS ALL OVER THE NEIGHBORHOODS, TOMMY SAID HE COULDNT REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE PLACE AT DIVISIN & DAMEN . I HAD IT ON THE NTIP OF MY TONGUE & LOST IT. BROWN & KOPPELS THATS WHAT IOT WAS.....I HOPE I DONT FORGET IT AGAIN, THEN NEXT TO THAT WAS A BIG CAR REPAIRPLACE CALLED REGAL AUTO SHOP. I KNOW THAT FOR SURE BECAUSE I WAS THE WATCHMAN & WENT IN THERE 2 TIMES A NIGHT. THEN I WANT TOL SAY THERE WAS A BAR NEXT TO BROWN & KOPPELS .HOPE I WAS HELPFUL TO YOU I STAYED UP FOR A FEW NIGHTS LOL.

AD:

Posted by: Popilchak (38.122.242.---)
Date: April 05, 2013 05:25PM

My father worked at the Chicago Board of Trade. In the 1960's when I would go to work with him we would stop for breakfast at National Cafeteria on Van Buren between Clark and Dearborn on the north side of the street. There is a parking garage there now. Does anyone remember this place?

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2013 08:17PM

I worked at the CBOT in the 70s and often started my day with an early breakfast at the cafeteria on the NE corner of Van Buren & Franklin. I do not recall for certain, but I think that was the location of National Cafeteria. It was Jewish-owned and I recall there was a regular group of older Jewish businessmen kibitzing over their breakfast of lox & bagels. Not many recall, but back then that stretch of Van Buren was Chicago's garment district, with many tailors and shirt makers located in the immediate vicinity. This location is now a parking garage. A little further east on Van Buren, on the NE corner at Clark was a Jewish restaurant/deli whose name escapes me. Today, this site houses a daycare center that is part of a block square Federal building. Another block or two further east was the Dill Pickle, which was yet another Jewish Deli/restaurant. All are gone now. The only two restaurant businesses left in that stretch are Boni Vinos and the Sky Ride tavern, located next door. Even Cal’s has now closed

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact