1984 Documentary about the South East Side of Chicago
1984 Documentary about the South East Side of Chicago
Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 12:35AM

A friend of mine sent me a link to this amazing documentary called Wrapped in Steel about the south east side of Chicago covering the neighborhoods of South Chicago, Hegewisch, South Deering, and Eastside. The footage was shot in 1983 and was released in 1984. It was kind of funny, but when my friend sent me the link he never told me that he and his family were one of those featured in the film, I was surprised to say the least! The story was very heartwarming and a bit sad because we all know how this whole thing ended with the closing of the steel mills and the collapse of that industry which devastated the area. Just a heads up, it's a full length feature (90 minutes), but check it out, I know I learned a lot. It was definitely worth my time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq_c-XXU1Tk&feature=plcp

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 03:35AM by Berwyn Frank.

Re: 1984 Documentary about the South East Side of Chicago
Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 06:01AM

That is an excellent film! My wife and I watched it earlier and loved it. If you're even somewhat familiar with the areas, it's a must see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2012 06:03AM by Vern H.

Posted by: QlassiQue (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 07:59PM

Yes, it's a very well done documentary and well worth watching. Definitely in the "forgotten" category as it's a film most people had never heard of until very recently. Thanks for posting this in the FC Forum!

Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 10:38PM

Excellent!

Posted by: tomc (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 04:15PM

Dear Vern H,

Thank for posting this documentary on line. It was very heart-moving to see my childhood and and now deceased friend, John (Bob Mitchell), and his lovely daughter, Maureen, win the title of Queen of Hegwisch. Bob was a retired Chicago policeman who rose to the rank of sergeant and had the distinct honor of being known as "The Sheriff of the Kingsington district.He was also instramental in the capture of the mass killer Richard Speck.Tom C (The Kid From Woodlawn).

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact