69th and Wood Street

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 69th and Wood Street
Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2014 05:23PM

Thanks Tommy. I forgot about the tavern on the n.e. corner. Occasionally, my father would take me with him to Whips and I remember on the wall behind the bar there was a mural of a tavern scene, but with dogs instead of humans sitting on the stools and tables. Wish I knew why I remember a detail like this after 50+ years, but forget where I left my cars keys just about every day!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Gerald Olsen (180.190.164.---)
Date: July 26, 2014 10:18AM

Does anybody remember what was on the northeast corner of 67th and Ashland.I vaguely recall a drugstore and I think a soda fountain. The satellite map just shows a vacant lot now.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2014 02:54AM

Yes ,we lived on Marquette rd. Or 67 th. st,, just east of the church. There was a drug store on the north east corner.I remember my dad would walk there,(,cross Ashland),when one of us kids were sick. Was there a gas station on the south west corner?

AD:

Posted by: Gerald Olsen (180.190.219.---)
Date: July 29, 2014 09:21AM

Thanks mikbasile. On the satellite map it does show a Citgo gas station on the southwest corner but I don't think it was there in the late forties when I lived there.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: July 31, 2014 02:12PM

Dressels Bakery was nearby at 66th-Ashland.

AD:

Posted by: Gerald Olsen (180.190.173.---)
Date: August 04, 2014 09:17AM

Thanks Eric F. I didn't know Dressels was on 66th & Ashland. my favorite cake was Dressels and unfortunately they are no longer in business. Upon further research on the internet,I discovered that many people loved the chocolate whipped cream cake and they indicated that you can now buy a cake closely resembling Dressels at Wolf"s bakery at the Evergreen Plaza on 95th st.

AD:

Posted by: lisacalz (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2014 07:26PM

My family is from this neighborhood. My dad grew up there in the 30's and the 40's. His grandfather owned a grocery on 69th and Wood...and his mother opened her own store at 70th and Wood. My Uncle Cal owned CalMars with his wife's family, the Margarella's.

When I showed my father this discussion, he remembers all the places noted. He drew me a map of the old neighborhood for reference!

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 15, 2014 01:58PM

Your dad's map would be a cool document to scan and preserve.

lisacalz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My family is from this neighborhood. My dad grew
> up there in the 30's and the 40's. His grandfather
> owned a grocery on 69th and Wood...and his mother
> opened her own store at 70th and Wood. My Uncle
> Cal owned CalMars with his wife's family, the
> Margarella's.
>
> When I showed my father this discussion, he
> remembers all the places noted. He drew me a map
> of the old neighborhood for reference!

AD:

Posted by: bill Y (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2014 01:15AM

never lived there but knew some people there I believe the street gang was called the loafers I remember on damen ave roasted corn being sold in the summer evenings also dunns pizza on67 and damen this was around 71 72 knew a girl named donna t.who lived first block so. of 69th don't know if that was 7000 block or 6900 block of wood but I do know she was a real babe its a shame the southwest side has turned into what it is today

AD:

Posted by: Gerald Olsen (180.191.161.---)
Date: December 23, 2014 11:16PM

I grew up and lived on the corner of 67th & Damen and my family owned the lot where the pizza place was later built. During the winter months we would freeze the area with water and then go ice skating.During the summer months several old Italian women dressed all in black clothes would search the area looking for rhubarb to be used for cooking in the 1940's.

AD:

Posted by: SandyCrawford (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 02:12PM

I lived on 65th and Wolcott. I was there for the 67 blizzard. I only lived in Chicago for 4 yrs, attended St Mary of Mt Carmel elementary! The best years of my life!

AD:

Posted by: Longford (---.c3-0.arm-ubr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 07, 2015 06:24PM

Until the mid-1960s, my family lived at various apartments near 69th & Justine St., east of Ashland Ave. I was very familiar with the Italian neighborhood you speak of. Ambrosino's and Casio's grocery stores, Naples Bakery, Pinecrest Dairy, Louie Georges Restaurant, St. Mary of Mt. Carmel, etc. It was a great neighborhood and I have fond memories.

AD:

Re: 69th and Paulina
Posted by: Vincenza (107.77.85.---)
Date: June 05, 2015 11:01PM

My Father was Rudy Sarli, of Rudy Sarli's Italian butcher shop.
My father knew everyone in the neighborhood. we would make over a thousand pounds of Italian sausage on any given holiday.
It was customary to give a shot of crown royal to his customers.
Joey D's tavern sports book and poker room was right next door to the butcher shop.
Anyone wanting good Italian sausage like Rudy's can go to Russo's on 123rd and cicero.
We would make the sausage and beef for the St. Mary's fest every year. We moved the store in the early 70's to 61st and Kedzie when the neighborhood changed, he retired in 1987 and worked at Russo's part time.

Sarli

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2015 12:22AM

I remember your dad's meat market well. As a boy my mother sent me to his 69th. Street location and as an adult I bought my own sausage from his Kedzie location. Since then I've been buying sausage at S&T in Mt. Greenwood or Gios in Bridgeport. I'll give Russo's a try.

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact