Pizzarias

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Pizzarias
Posted by: Diogenes9561 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2013 01:17PM

A couple of my HS buddies lived near Southport and Addison and we used to get pizza from Logalbo's, too, back in the day. Great thin crust pizza, good memories.
Another great thin crust pizzeria was Riggio's on the west side of Western Avenue just north of Irving Park Road. It was a full service restaurant, too, and I remember seeing a few of the news and sports people from WGN TV dining there since WGN was not too far away. It was a really nice place and the pizza was memorable but the restaurant is gone and replaced with - what else? - condos. Sad.
Gulliver's on Howard near California was my first deep dish many years ago and I believe, still in business even thought the short Italian looking gent who owned and managed it passed away some years back.
Right now, I'm posting from a motel in Wheaton as my Mom passed away and being waked today but I'll have 1 day to visit the old North Center neighborhood and wander around a bit, hoping to have "real" pizza again unlike the stuff back in Orlando.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2013 08:04PM

Diogenes9561 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A couple of my HS buddies lived near Southport and
> Addison and we used to get pizza from Logalbo's,
> too, back in the day. Great thin crust pizza, good
> memories.
> Another great thin crust pizzeria was Riggio's on
> the west side of Western Avenue just north of
> Irving Park Road. It was a full service
> restaurant, too, and I remember seeing a few of
> the news and sports people from WGN TV dining
> there since WGN was not too far away. It was a
> really nice place and the pizza was memorable but
> the restaurant is gone and replaced with - what
> else? - condos. Sad.
> Gulliver's on Howard near California was my first
> deep dish many years ago and I believe, still in
> business even thought the short Italian looking
> gent who owned and managed it passed away some
> years back.
> Right now, I'm posting from a motel in Wheaton as
> my Mom passed away and being waked today but I'll
> have 1 day to visit the old North Center
> neighborhood and wander around a bit, hoping to
> have "real" pizza again unlike the stuff back in
> Orlando.

Those of you that still live in Chicago have no idea how much those of us,me anyway, miss the Chicago food. Here in Central Florida, Lake County, there is nothing to compare. The p[izza here is lousy, and mostly represantitive of New York. White Castle Hamburgers are non existant, there is a chain whose burgers resemble White Castle, called Krystal, but appearance is as far as it goes A couple of places were opened serving Chicago style hot dogs plus beef and sausage, one of which in Clermont was pretty good, they eveh had Gonella bread shipped in, but alas they all went broke. Even Chinese food is different, again New York style, and it just isn't the same.

Fortunately we manage to get to Chicago 1nce or twice each year, and also mange to gorge ourselves on Chicago food, including my personal Ricobene's breaded steaks.

AD:

Posted by: kgamb (---.c3-0.nwb-ubr1.chi-nwb.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 12, 2013 06:44PM

Diogenes9561 Wrote:

---------------------------------------------
A couple of my HS buddies lived near Southport and Addison and we used to get pizza from Logalbo's, too, back in the day. Great thin crust pizza, good memories.
Another great thin crust pizzeria was Riggio's on the west side of Western Avenue just north of Irving Park Road. It was a full service restaurant, too, and I remember seeing a few of the news and sports people from WGN TV dining there since WGN was not too far away. It was a really nice place and the pizza was memorable but the restaurant is gone and replaced with - what else? - condos. Sad.
Gulliver's on Howard near California was my first deep dish many years ago and I believe, still in business even thought the short Italian looking gent who owned and managed it passed away some years back.
Right now, I'm posting from a motel in Wheaton as my Mom passed away and being waked today but I'll have 1 day to visit the old North Center neighborhood and wander around a bit, hoping to have "real" pizza again unlike the stuff back in Orlando.
---------------------------------------

I'm so very sorry your mother passed.

AD:

Posted by: Inner Prop (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2013 03:35PM

Dunning Crazy Wrote:
> Yes, I remember LaScala's on Higgins. We also
> used to order from Mangia's on Addison and from
> Tony and Lil's on Irving (Six Corners area)
We lived off Kostner and Montrose (used to be called Mayfair, but now I think Old Irving Park claims it) and we got pizza from a place nearby, but I can't remember the name. I could have sworn it was on Kostner and Irving.

They went out of business in the late 70s or early 80s and we had to switch to Gioradano (sp?).

We would get pizza every Friday night and stuff the Chicago Style with shrimp during Lent.

AD:

Posted by: Inner Prop (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2013 03:38PM

fleurblue Wrote:
> I remember a small pizza/Italian restaurant called
> "Marsi's" on the NE corner of Lawrence and Nagel.
> I don't know how long it was there but the pizza
> was great. The dinners were excellent. Sorry to
> see it go.
>
> They had two storefront dining rooms, one for
> dinners and one for pizza.
>
> As a frame of reference, Elliot's dairy was on the
> other corner and Butera directly across the
> street.
We shopped at Butera, maybe that was the place I'm thinking of. Off topic, I remember my Dad pulling us in sleds to go shopping for groceries during the bilzzard of '79.

AD:

Posted by: prusko69 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2014 04:44PM

I remember LaScalas too and Marsi's but we usually went to a place called Rosellis on Higgins, west of Austin.

AD:

Posted by: RON K. (---.hsd1.az.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2014 11:07PM

I worked at Dicrecendo's Pizza or archer ave. in the 60's MY Mother worked at Syrena's in Brighton park. and at Cherry lounge and club Moravia. I miss the old Chesdans on archer ave. and remember Driftwood steakhouse on Pulaski.good times real good times'.glad I found this site good memories for sure RON K.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2014 01:50PM

Roselli's was east of Austin on the north side of street at Melvina. I use to go there as well in the late 1970's.

I am still trying to figure out what happened to LaScale's. John, the owner moved LaScale's from Higgins to Harlem Ave and then seemed to closed shortly after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 01:52PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: June 04, 2014 10:58AM

Best I can remember was the Florence Cafe in Cicero on 14th a little east of Laramie.

AD:

Posted by: mogee (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 02:01PM

Como's Pizza on 48th s Ashland. I thought they had the best pizza in the neighborhood back in the 60's.

AD:

Posted by: bob427 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 02:08PM

)
anyone remember 2300W nORTH ave. ave..south side on North ave.
it was called Melomets.

AD:

Posted by: Wyoming Ed (---.direcway.com)
Date: September 01, 2014 07:12PM

Used to go to Doro's, on 59th St. a few blocks east of Kedzie, quite often during my dating days in the 70's. A single storefront: maybe a dozen tables with red and white checkerboard tablecloths and red glass candleholders. They served a great stuffed pizza, which along with a carafe of red wine or a pitcher of Coke, was a nice date meal to go along with a movie at the nearby Colony or Marquette theater.

AD:

Posted by: bob427 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 18, 2014 08:15PM

on the 2400s w. north ave. south side of north ave. the pizza place was
calle Meloneats..anyone remembers.

AD:

Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 28, 2015 02:47PM

in the '60s our closest pizzaria was JOHNNIE Q's on North Ave about 3200 block (they seemed to be built into the Jewel Foods building once there). I think JOHNNIE Q's moved a few miles further west on North Ave later. Mustly my local friends ordered from Father & Son (milwaukee ave), and they'd tell you to go out and meet their delivery drivers who'd honk their car horns.

Two other pizzaria's, both gone now, I enjoyed regularly were GOLDEN CRUST on Elston Ave, and ABRUZZI out on Grand Ave. Wait there's a 3rd--GUY'S pizza from North & Pulaski (also briefly on Armitage & Kostner), how can I forget them, the very first 'stuffed' pizza here around 1970.

Thinking how we were then we made a big deal about how fast the pizza could be made and delivered, one place took an hour, another more, another less and we almost always took the fastest. Now time is almost irrelevant, price & deals make the sale.

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 07, 2015 05:59PM

We left Chicago in 61 but always remember the great pizza at Paternos, on western and grand. Still picture the old Italian guy hand tossing the dough at the counter right in front of you. Later they closed the pizza joint and concentrated on Paterno Imports next door.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2015 10:09PM

There was a pizzaria on fullerton near Kedzie back in the 50s. Anyone know what its' name was? It was on the south side of the street.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 10:25AM

There is a Paterno's at Milwaukee and Central that I beieve is connected to the family from Western and Grand. It is connected to a liguor store that was called Paterno's.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 07:45PM

Here is an old picture of Paterno's at Grand and Western.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41449418@N08/13894786064/

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 11, 2015 06:38PM

zorchvalve Wrote:
> There was a pizzaria on fullerton near Kedzie back
> in the 50s. Anyone know what its' name was? It was
> on the south side of the street.

Your probably thinking of the one on Fullerton near Kimball called Marys Pizza. Good thin crust.

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2015 07:46PM

Thank you Thimmaker. I think that there was a rec hall near there where we would go to dance on a friday night and go for pizza later.

AD:

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact