Cool video of Back Of the Yards from 1972.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Cool video of Back Of the Yards from 1972.
Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2012 02:01PM

found this on http://chicagoscreenshots.com/

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KtLlYk0MtJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 02:02PM by 222psm.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Cool video of Back Of the Yards from 1972.
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2012 09:36PM

[b]I enjoyed that.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2012 11:11PM

A neat video. Kind of wistful

AD:

Date: August 07, 2012 12:07PM

Glad you guys liked it, it really shows how gritty the area was back then. Being a north side-er I did not visit the area often, I do remember one time around the time the video was shot (early 70's) we drove by the old stock yards. I remember that smell, I'd hate to imagine what the smell was like back when it was in full swing!

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: August 07, 2012 05:59PM

My fraternal Grandparents lived (and Grandpa worked) close to the yards. The odor was, shall we say, unforgettable. But some would say it was the smell of money.

AD:

Posted by: 729 Brompton (---.148-78-65.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 23, 2012 02:18AM

My grandpa worked there and it was my dads first job. At 81 years, that man still knows how to sharpen a knife razor sharp, and can cut a chicken or ANYTHING professionally. I'm a Norsider too, and it was pretty nasty, but it was fun to poke around if you had a good eye. I can still smell it. eck.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 07:29PM

Not to nitpick about a good video, but thatis more of the Stockyards themselves, not Back of the Yards, which were further south, starting about 47th to 59th.

AD:

Date: November 06, 2012 10:52PM

Yes, you're right. I just posted it like it was on You Tube, and Chicago screen shots.com.

AD:

Posted by: Scott1964 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 03:27PM

I've always wondered about abandoned factories and such. Once the owner takes off and closes down, and these buildings sit for years, who actually owns them? Did the bank take over because payments stopped? Did the city take over because property taxes stopped? Or did the banks sell property to the city for pennies on the dollar just to rid themselves of unwanted properties in blighted areas?

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 07:36PM

I'm not sure, but I think in the case of the Stockyards, Union Stockyard Company owned the land and in some cases the buildings. I think some of the buildings may have been built by the packing companies on land leased from Union. As of 10 years ago the whole area has been pretty much redeveloped, with more on the way. I have not been in the area for about 10 years so I don't know what has been done since then.

AD:

Posted by: stevieg314 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 04:18PM

I can still remember going to White Sox games in the late 60's/early 70's-my dad had a special route that he would take to get to the ballpark- which always involved getting off the Stevenson at Ashland, going south to Pershing, then east on Pershing to Normal to park the car,then walk to the park. Those rides would always have a special "bonus"; the smell of the Stockyards!! lol...I have never before or after smelled anything quite like that in my life (it wasn't too terrible after awhile, but just very distinctive, let's say)....I took my brother to my first White Sox game in like 25 years last year, and i decided to take the exact car route my Dad used to take for a special memory...Alot of things were different of course, but i did still see a few old buildings that i remembered as a child..But one thing that was missing was that SMELL!! LOL I actually felt a little sad that it was gone, made me feel a wistfulness for times past.....

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-67.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2016 02:24AM

Btt.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2016 11:47PM

It's sad to see what happen to the yards that made Chicago great in the hay days. it was a booming place in the 50's. My grandmother worked for Armour as a pork trimmer. If you looked close you could see the wire mesh gloves the trimmers wore so they wouldn't lose a finger. I still have my grandmother's gloves and knives. Thanks for the video. I recognized alot of the factories, Thompson Foods, Continentel Can etc.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-98.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2016 03:22AM

Btt!

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-100.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2016 03:55AM

Shift back to top.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-100.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2016 04:03AM

Move to top.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact