Cornel Park Back of the yards

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Cornel Park Back of the yards
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2012 06:40PM

[b]Anybody from around Cornell park in the 50's ??[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Cornel Park Back of the yards
Posted by: Julie (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 08, 2012 12:09AM

That was my park in the 70's.
Not to mention many hours spent at events at the VFW across the street

AD:

Date: July 10, 2012 01:24AM

[b]Yes I know the VFW at one time was a church. I lived at 5042 s. Wolcott until 1957 when I got married. I hung out in the park in the 50's. The VFW usedto make a lot of noise on the summer weekends and hed goings on in the front yard. I think the building is still there.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Julie (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 12, 2012 02:10PM

We were at 5231 S Winchester. From what I can see via google, the apartment is one of the few buildings left on the block. Many are gone.
I went to St. Basil, (gone) and Gage Park HS for the first 2 years, til we moved.

AD:

Date: July 12, 2012 05:57PM

[b]How about Cornell Show on 51st and the candy store on the corner we hung out at in the 40's & 50's.Went to SS Cyrils and Tilden Tech High school.Also ran the hot dog stand at 51st and Wolcott by Parkview Gas station.[/b]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2012 07:48PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.wi.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 08:30PM

Although I lived around 56th and Ashland, I went to St. Basil, and one or two summers our block baseball team entered the league at Cornell Sq. We won the championship the second year, maybe 1954 or '55. We went on and lost in the championship tournament against a team from the east side.

Additionally Warren White, whose name should be remembered by anyone from around that area, was a cousin of one of my good friends. Warren was a pretty good friend too. What a shame.

Does anyone know why it has been impossible for me to get in the FC forums for the last several months?

AD:

Date: July 16, 2012 10:59PM

[b]I know that I haven't any problems getting on. I knew a resturant at 56th or 55th and ashland named Otto's. Also went to the boulavard Show a few times. I married a girl from 53rd and Hermitage. Anymore facts??[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 10:33PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Date: July 18, 2012 09:28PM

The German restaurant in the 5600 block of Ashland was originally Herman's and the name was later changed to Oswald's. Great food. I know that it was still there in the early 70's because when I was a Detective my partner loved the place. Soon after that the neighborhood went to hell on the way to shape it is in today.

Does anybody from the neighborhood remember Bob's Restaurant at about 5449 or so S. Ashland?

AD:

Date: July 20, 2012 11:10PM

[b][/b]jak378 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although I lived around 56th and Ashland, I went
> to St. Basil, and one or two summers our block
> baseball team entered the league at Cornell Sq.
> We won the championship the second year, maybe
> 1954 or '55. We went on and lost in the
> championship tournament against a team from the
> east side.
>
> Additionally Warren White, whose name should be
> remembered by anyone from around that area, was a
> cousin of one of my good friends. Warren was a
> pretty good friend too. What a shame.
>
> Does anyone know why it has been impossible for me
> to get in the FC forums for the last several
> months?

I was there when it happended. I was parked on 50th st with my girlfriend across from the methodist church and heard all the shots. He had a white Ford if I remember right. He and some others used to drag race on 43rd st. He beat out a Murcury stick but I forgot his name. I'm 76 and don't remember some details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2012 11:14PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: tonyfromchicago (---.ppp.asahi-net.or.jp)
Date: July 21, 2012 01:35AM

Sounds like I'm a LITTLE younger than some folks here (58), but grew up on 49th & Wood - and my brother IS STILL THERE. I live in Osaka and get back twice a year if I can. Split my head good on the swings, did the CYO summer program for several years, and our cub scout troop would sometimes have summer BBQs at the VFW on 50th in conjuction with prep for the summer Pow-wows. St. Joe's on 48th elementary, er, GRAMMAR school, St. Rita H.S.

AD:

Date: July 21, 2012 11:58AM

Idon't remember all the details either. I believe it happened in 1956 or 57. I know thatI was in high school (55-59) at the time. I seem to recall that shooter was in the Army at the time, and that the weapon was a .22 cal rifle. I don't remember why he shot White, but it might have had something to do with the Rebel gang from around that area. If I recall correctly, White lived on Garfield around Hermitage.

AD:

Date: July 21, 2012 06:41PM

[b]From what I figuered is that the rebels made an attack at a pool hall on Halstead and Taylor and that was revenge. It was a regular thing to go and attack different gangs at thier hangouts. So that's what I figuered. Another guy was also shot but survived. The group was standing on the walk on the 51st street side of the park when shots were fired from a passing car. I was on the other side of the park but heard the shots and commotion. I think that it was 55 or 56 or 57.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: silliker (---.69.101.136.pldt.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 06:24AM

Moving form other place and then visit that old place you were before feels so wonderful and specially when you get to see those old building and places.

AD:

Date: August 15, 2012 07:59PM

[b]That's for sure like you say. Are you from that area also?[/b]silliker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Moving form other place and then visit that old
> place you were before feels so wonderful and
> specially when you get to see those old building
> and places.

AD:

Posted by: ronko1 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2013 12:09PM

I just found this site about a Month ago so Im about a year late on the topics I was at 51st & Damen with a bunch of guys the night White got killed the other guy who got shot was ED M. don,t know how to spell his last name he was from 47th st What happen a car full of guys park by cornell park on Walcott came into the park & shot White & Ed & soneone ran across the street into the candy store were the rest of the gang was they came running out & one of there guys got stabed before he made back to there car.That Was 1956

AD:

Date: September 14, 2013 02:05PM

[b]I was sitting in my car on 50th st the other side of the park with my girlfriend when all the commotion went on. I remember it well. If I didn't have a girlfiend at that time I may have been with those guys. His name was Eddy Milant.[/b]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact