Waukeegan Rd.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Waukeegan Rd.
Posted by: MIKETOUHY (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 01, 2008 09:17PM

I heard years ago Waukegan southbound ended Touhy Ave instead of Milwaukee as it does today.

I also read that it at one time it continued south of Touhy though perhaps as a different name.

If you go into the cemetery there is a road that runs in the middle of it that might of been a continuance and it ends at Albion Ave though there's a gate that blocks anyone from going any further and it's actually parelel to Newark Ave.

Anyone know anything else about this and why this street was cut off from the north and south?

And yes I'm aware of apartement on Touhy but those are relatively new.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Waukeegan Rd.
Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: June 03, 2008 05:15AM

Mike,

If you look on historicaerials.com (in the links section) and go back to 1962, you'll see it did end at Touhy. I imagine it was cut off to improve traffic flow. The street that runs through the cemetery is Newark av, it was gated off I believe in the late 80's or early 90's. I would guess it was gated to keep people out, maybe due to vandalism?

AD:

Re: Waukegan Rd. in Niles
Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2008 11:21PM

In the 1938 Aerial view, there is a clear path to Touhy av. Looks as if Waukegan is just a small street.

Maybe before the 30's it went further south?

AD:

Posted by: greatzambo (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 31, 2010 11:38AM

They gated off Newark back in the '70's or end of the '60's because punks used it as a drag strip. People living there as well as the families going in and out of St. Adalbert's Cemetery were fed up with the noise and the danger.

AD:

Re: Waukegan Rd.
Posted by: Mikey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2013 07:19PM

In the 60s, as far back as I can remember, Waukegan stopped at Touhy, about 200 feet east of Milwaukee ave. There's a waterfall there now. However, if you jogged over about 200 feet to the east, the street that WOULD HAVE BEEN Waukegan Road kept going south, into St. Adalbert's Cemetery. I remember it being Newark Ave., but prior to that it was known as Evergreen Ave. (in the 1950s). It was blocked off to traffic in the late 60s, I believe.

Mikey

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2013 04:35PM

Newark was still open to traffic in 1974 going south from Touhy. It was shortly after that the road was closed at Touhy.

AD:

Re: Waukegan Rd.
Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2013 06:41PM

I call Waukegan Rd. when I'm up in Lake County, "Harlem", since its IL 43, and Milwaukee Av is up there too.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 12:58AM

I assume that St. Adalbert's expanded west hence the reason Newark bisects the current layout of the cemetery?

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 07:39PM

St. Adalbert's looks to have expanded before 1938 according to the Historic Aerials. The street is not mark Newark though between the cemetery.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact