Knife sharpener guy

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Knife sharpener guy
Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 18, 2013 04:26PM

The co-op in Hyde Park used to have an annual knife sharpening day. The mother of HS classmates was the sharpener, I think she may still do it at annual events in the shopping center.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Deejo (108.246.120.---)
Date: December 19, 2013 04:56AM

I grew up near Harlem and Roosevelt in Oak Park and there was a knife sharpener who would come around in the summer. Whenever we would hear his bell my mom would give me some knives and scissors and tell me to go out to him and have them sharpened. This was in the 1970's. I remember him coming rarely after that, and then one time he came in the early 1990's, I want to say, or it may have been a different guy.

AD:

Posted by: adgorn (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2013 08:23PM

Still have one in Western Springs, at least as of a few years ago:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FSCcAR68Ulcb_YrT4eieVflSWuu61mLqhRg7BVpTH-E?feat=directlink

AD:

Posted by: justacruzr2 (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: August 23, 2014 04:52PM

I think most neighborhoods had them. Ours did too. They might have been a franchise. At the same time we still received our dairy products at our front porch door (this was still into the 60's), Had a fruit and vegetable man who would drive his truck down the neighborhood streets and sell you fresh fruits and vegetables from the back of the truck, had a guy who would come around a couple of times a year and take your picture on his pony and the Good Humor man in those white International trucks with the open top over the driver and the little bells. Zip Codes were not around yet and we were Chicago, 28, Illinois. Telephone numbers still used the abbreviated name in the prefix such as HI(lltop) 5, PR(escott) 6 or BE(verly) 8. Stamps were the 3c purple statue of Liberty. TV staions were not on 24/7/365 and at their designated time they would sign off the air and put up the famous Indian head test pattern. TV's were B&W and not solid state so it took up to a minute for the set to warm up and display the picture. And how many of us would sit and watch the little dot, after you shut the TV off, until it disappeared.

AD:

Posted by: Chicago Visitor (---.sub-70-194-8.myvzw.com)
Date: October 01, 2014 02:09PM

The original (I think) machine is on display on the second floor of the Hull House on the south side. I seen it a few weeks ago.

AD:

Posted by: familyhistorydetective (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 30, 2014 05:18PM

My cousin and I are working on our family history which has its roots in Norwood Park. My older sister remembers an old black gentleman who pushed a cart and shouted "Rags Ol Iron." His name was Cicero and he lived along the railroad tracks in Norwood Park. This would have been in the 1950s. Does anyone remember Cicero?

AD:

Re: bean truck
Posted by: bob427 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 11, 2014 09:07PM

i remember sitting inside when i heard a horn blow.
we ran outside and their was a truck with one side open.
he had all kinds of beans in different bins like bonza beans,ect.
anyone remember this.

AD:

Posted by: Chicago Visitor (---.sub-70-194-4.myvzw.com)
Date: December 20, 2014 11:47PM

There is a scene in the movie "Out for Justice" when Gino, played by Steven Segal mentions a guy a knife sharpener guy who would go around with a cart and ring a bell and people would come out and have thier knives or scissors sharpened. This person who was actually was his father, only this movie takes place in New York.

AD:

Posted by: Savruk (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2014 04:50PM

I grew up in Ravenswood and in the 1950's there was what we called a "scissors grinder" who used to come up Wilson Avenue.

AD:

Posted by: MikeMcD (---.lightspeed.renonv.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 28, 2015 04:56PM

Wow, this brings back good memories of my childhood. We lived @ 79th and Peoria on Chicago's South Side. I remember hearing the bell of the knife sharpener's cart around the apartment we lived in above the Catholic store across the street from St. Leo's. The building is gone now (just an empty lot), but the memories are strong.

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact