Back of The Yard anyone?

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Back of The Yard anyone?
Posted by: SWEDE (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2015 10:21PM

Anyone of you Back of the Yarders have the time to read a message I wrote about living at 50th place and Oakley during the 50's. I went to St. Michaels. I wrote it under the Forum: Rebels. Like to hear from you. My brother worked at the Colony, we took our TV's to Rex TV repair. My mother went to Hamlin back in the 20's. It's funny that our Ja Ja gave us an old 1876 French sword that we played with in the 50's. I remember the cattle trucks that drove through the city, a very distinct smell. Wow

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Date: January 14, 2015 10:30PM

Hey guys. Any of the Back of the Yarders have time to read a post I put on the Question & Answer forum under the Rebels? I went to St Michaels. My brother worked at the Colony. We took our TV sets to Rex TV service. Our Ja Ja gave us an old 1876 French sword that we played with during the 50's. I delivered the Back of the Yard Journal. I remember the smell from the cattle trucks. I can't believe I found this site.

AD:

Date: January 14, 2015 10:33PM

I wasn't sure if the message went through the first time. Sorry for the repeat.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 12:05AM

[b]I worked at Rex TV on 6011 s Pulaski from 1965 to 1988. I lived across the srett on 50th & Wolcott across from Cornell park and hung out at times with the rebels. Many of the rebel hung out at Roger's tavern at 50th & oakley in the 60's & 70's. I got marreid and moved to Brighton Park in 1957. We most likely know some of the same people.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Fscott (198.161.141.---)
Date: January 15, 2015 02:14AM

Rich, was that hot dog stand inside an old camper?
If it was, i used to go there often, my girlfriend lived a block away.
Great Chicago dogs!
I thnk the chilidog was my usual.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2015 02:18PM

The Stone Greasers site has some good stuff on the Rebels.

AD:

Date: January 15, 2015 10:29PM

Fscott: Yes it was in a trailer on the corner of Parkview Gas station. I lived at 5042 s. wolcott. Where did you live?

AD:

Date: January 16, 2015 11:02PM

Hey Rich,
I'm sure that we met before at Rex. We moved from 50th and Oakley in 1956 and moved to 55th and Komensky/Pulaski across from Loredes High School for girls until 1983. Do you remember the camera shop on 58th Pulaski. My cousin Wally worked there.

AD:

Date: January 16, 2015 11:12PM

[b]I worked at Rex from 1965 to 1987 then opened up a shop on Archer & kedzie just west of White Castle. I sometimes stopped at Roger's tavern at 50th & Oakley. I think I remember a camera shop there.[/b]

AD:

Date: January 23, 2015 11:10PM

We use to go to that White Castle and the one on 71st and Western ave. Buy a bag after spending the night at the drive in or Brighton show. We use to buy our suits at Robert Hall. I remember the Archer Big Store.

AD:

Posted by: Longford (---.c3-0.arm-ubr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 07, 2015 06:19PM

My step-father lived across from St. Michael the Archangel rectory on Damen Ave. at 48th for decades, until the 1970s. In the 198os, 90s and until several years ago, a friend of mine was Pastor at St. Michael's. I lived east of the church, at 47th & Wood ... in the late-1960s.

AD:

Date: February 07, 2015 06:37PM

[b]Yes I remember it all.[/b]

AD:

Date: February 07, 2015 08:42PM

My brother graduated from Michaels in 56 and I graduated in 59 I'm sure we seen your step father in our travels. You lived across from Hedges grammer school?

AD:

Posted by: Longford (---.c3-0.arm-ubr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 07, 2015 11:28PM

Swede, my step-father was Polish and, therefore, he went to St. Joseph's at 48th & Wood, instead of attending mass at St. Michael's. He and my mother were married at St. Joseph's late 1960s (even though she was not Roman Catholic). WE lived above a dress shop on the south side of 47th St., just west of Wood St. Next to Syrena's Polish Restaurant.

AD:

Date: February 07, 2015 11:38PM

We're Polish and Slovak so we went to Michaels, however, we loved the inside of St Josephs. My folks use to eat Syrena's. Do you remember the greasy spoon as us kids called it right on 47th a chili joint. We use to go there for chili instead of eating lunch in the basement at St Michaels. There was a hobby shop couple doors down.

AD:

Posted by: shirleywalker (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2015 07:53PM

I grew up on the corner of 53rd and Hermitage, across from Fulton grammar school. I was best friends with Sandy Stachowski that used to live down the street above her grandparents with her Mom. In fact, I recall Sandy and I being in her dad's Gremlin car when it got a flat tire on the Stevenson. My dad worked in the stockyards then had the newsstands at 47th and Ashland.

Richard Stachowski- I would love to connect with Sandy again, please message me and I can provide my info.

Shirley (Przybylski) Walker
shirleycwalker@gmail.com

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact