Back of The Yard anyone?

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Back of The Yard anyone?
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2011 11:55PM

[b]I lived in back of the yards in the 40's , 50's & 60's.Like to shars e with anyone who is from there. I lived on 50th & Wolcott across fron Cornaell Park, went to SS Cyril & Methodius Church & School ect.[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Back of The Yard anyone?
Posted by: Chuck D (12.104.103.---)
Date: February 18, 2013 02:36PM

I grew up on 48th and Wood st, near the corner of 49th. My family belonged to St. Joseph parish.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: February 19, 2013 12:45PM

Most of our family lived in that area. My mom and dad were married at St. Joseph after WW II. My dad's parents lived close to the yards on Marshfield and if the wind was right during a visit, we'd wish we were back home. I remember ja-ja always asking with a smile if we kids wanted a shot. We never did.

My brother and I found an old rusty sword in their shed on one visit. That was a neat thing for a couple of kids to find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 12:59PM by daveg.

AD:

Posted by: ambrosemario (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 02:28PM

I'm from a bit south of there (79th street), but I remember the Free Fair at 47th and Damen. Not surprisingly, I don't recall ever getting anything free, but it was always a great time. My great aunt owned a tavern at 47th & Racine. She was out of that business when I was a boy in the late 50s/early 60s, but she used to tell great stories of the stockyard crowds that came into her bar in the 30/40/50s. She would often make reference to the Upton Sinclair book, The Jungle. Later, when I was in high school and read the book, I came to a greater appreciation of the work ethic of people like my aunt and the thousands of others who worked in the yards.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 06:49PM

One year , or maybe for several years, the second F on the sign was burned out, thus it read as FREE AIR. My stepfather thought it was hilarious since in reality that was all that was free at that event. It was Joe Meeegan's pet fundraiser though.

AD:

Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2013 08:25PM

[b]Well addmission was free at the fair. My dad used to stop at the tavern on 47th and racine after work to drink with the guys. What was the name of that tavern? I hung around 48th & hermitage in the 50's and knew most of the guys. I never knew my Ja-Ja so your blessed in that way. OH none of us never got used to that smell. It was Darling Co. that used all the fat to make by products. My friend drove a Darling truck and had to jump in the shower as soon as he came home. Ever find the history of that sword? I also lived on 48th hrmitage in the early 60's after I married.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: ronko1 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 31, 2013 10:12AM

WOW CHICAGO FREE FAIR I WORK THERE MOST YEARS UNTIL THE EARLY 60's LIVED ACROSS THE STREET 46TH & DAMEN FROM THE EARLY 50's UNTIL I GOT MARRIED IN THE MID 60's CAME BACK AGAIN IN THE LATE 60's FOR A SHORT TIME WHAT A PLACE TO GROW UP GREAT MEMORIES I WENT TO ST MICHEALS GRAM SCHOOL HUNG OUT AT 48TH & WINCHESTER 51ST & DAMEN & 51ST & ASHLAND AND I ALSO WAS A DRIVER FOR DARLING & CO FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS I KNOW MOST OF MY FRIENDS HAVE PASS ON AND THAT AREA HAS CHANGED BUT WHAT I WOULD GIVE TO GO BACK TO THAT TIME AGAIN.

AD:

Date: August 31, 2013 09:33PM

[b]Thanks all for sharing about our old neihborhood. I ran a hotdog stand on 51st and wolcott. Went to sscyrils and hung aroud cornell park.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: ronko1 (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2013 10:51AM

Yes I remember the hotdog stand on wolcott me & my girl friend (now my wife) use to stop there a lot I love the mother in Laws.

AD:

Date: September 14, 2013 11:29AM

[b]Yes we lived on 50th & Wolcott acrose from Cornell Park. It sat on the corner of Park view [Mike's} service station,hung around cornell in the 50's,delivered the Back of the Yards Journal while in grade scool.went to st cyril's before thatdrove a 1953 buick special i got in 1955.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: SouthSide41 (75.115.202.---)
Date: October 14, 2013 03:09PM

55th and Halsted, in the Byrne's Building

Read my story please: http://memoriesofatime.com

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2014 05:19PM

I lived at 53rd-Laflin in the 60's and 70's, went to Fulton and Libby grammar schools. I still get back every Good Friday.

AD:

Posted by: mogee (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 12:53PM

I grew up on 47th s Loomis in the 50's & 60's. I went to Hamline grammar school & Tilden High school.

AD:

Date: June 08, 2014 05:35PM

[b]I also went to Tilden Tech in the 50's. Who was you division teacher? Mine was Mr. Jezek. I took up print shop for most of my four years. Lived by cornell park. Hung out at St Augustine social ceneter at times.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: mogee (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2014 06:43PM

I went to Tilden from 63 to 68. I use to go to Sherman Park a lot. That's where I learned to Swim. I was in the Boy Scouts across the street from Cornell Park in 1962.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2014 08:11PM

Less than 50 years ago in the Back of the Yards, in the area between 45th and 53rd and from Throop to Seeley (less than a mile square) we had 11 Catholic churches and a convent where mass was said. Not to mention a 13th just out side those boundaries.

AD:

Posted by: chitransplant (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 03:45PM

My Great Uncle and Great Aunt owned a small grocery store at 4350 S. Hermitage in the 50's and 60's. They lived in the back of the store. I think the name of the store was Zajac's.

AD:

Date: August 21, 2014 11:44PM

[b]Thanks you all for sharing about the Back of the Yards. I bet we know each other or at least we passed each other. I seemed I knew most of the people my age or knew of them back then. I missed that area.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Eric F (---.260.popsite.net)
Date: August 24, 2014 02:13AM

Anyone remember an S&H Green Stamps store on Ashland in the Back of the Yards ? It was around till the 70's.

AD:

Posted by: missicbc (137.175.37.---)
Date: September 22, 2014 10:25AM

That was a neat thing for a couple of kids to find [url=http://www.goldentok.com/]Fut 15 Coins[/url]

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact