Old St Stephen's Catholic Church

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Old St Stephen's Catholic Church
Posted by: chicagopol (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 05:43PM

St Stephen's Church was one of those bulldozed to make way for the Kennedy Expressway back in the 1950's, around Grand & east of Ogden. Does anyone know where to find exterior/interior photo's? I've tried the Diocese, google..I live in Memphis, so the Main Library in Chicago is a tad difficult. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old St Stephen's Catholic Church
Posted by: mitchb13 (---.midco.net)
Date: June 20, 2011 05:35AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26592941@N02/4394276968/

http://freak.minimanga.com/chicago/chicago1.htm

-mitch

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: June 20, 2011 03:33PM

Here's a postcard view of the interior...

[url=http://chicagopc.info/Chicago%20postcards/churches/CATHOLIC/st%20stephens%20church%20chapel.JPG]Chapel Of Roses @ St. Stephen's Church[/url]

AD:

Date: June 20, 2011 11:38PM

thanks for the postcard view...it has a very close feeling of the ONE photo someone snapped of my parents when they were married at the Old St Stephen's back in 1939. The church was knocked down when I was real tiny. I ended up going to the old Santa Maria Adolorata (sp?) BEFORE IT WAS KNOCKED DOWN, and then to St John Cantius (STILL STANDING!!!). ST STEPHENS REMINDS ME OF ST COLUMBKILL (horrible spelling) on Grand Ave., near Ashland. Ah, yes...another grand church bulldozed. At least St John's and St Adalbert's are still standing. Gosh, can you tell where I grew up?

Thanks, again!!

linda

AD:

Posted by: West Town (---.elgin.edu)
Date: June 21, 2011 03:41PM

My old parish Holy Innocents still stands at Armour & Superior. They did a beautiful job or redoing the exterior of the church seveal years ago. Though I've lived in the suburbs 20 plus years, my daughter decided and arranged to have her wedding there in 2006. It brought back a lot of good memories of the old neighborhood (West Town) and the surrounding parishes, some gone, some still there.

AD:

Date: June 21, 2011 11:10PM

Yes!! I neglected Holy Innocents! And shame on me! My late mother went there through the 8th grade. She loved telling stories about the nuns, how they would smack kids around and how she had to scrub the wood floors. I guess the end of mom's time at H-I was when she told the Mother Superior she'd sooner wash the floors at home!. Mom and I visited H-I last in 2005..they did a beautiful job inside and out. It was my grandmother's sort of "2nd church" in the '50's and 60's..especially when she/we went shopping on Chicago Avenue (Kaplan's..Goldblatt's.) Nice memories. I think I'm the only one from the immediate family that would move back to the old neighborhood. Thanks for reminding me about H-I.

Linda

AD:

Date: June 22, 2011 02:10PM

Linda,

My brother & I both went thru the elementary school. He graduated in 1967 and went to Lane Tech. I graduated in 1971 and went to Holy Trinity. Nuns slapping you around was an under statement. One sister Borremeo, who we called Sister Borax was the worst. If not the pointer across your fingers, it was the hand whisk broom against your butt. And shopping up and down Chicago Ave. Kaplan's, Meyer Brothers, Goldbaltt's, Not one but two movie theaters the Hub and the Alvin(?), DeMars' at Chicago & Paulina, J & B snack shop, Dietech's pharamcy, Division Chevrolet & the Certified at Chicago & Wood St. The National's at Superior & Ashland. Brother I could go on and on.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: June 22, 2011 10:44PM

West Town Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Linda,
>
> My brother & I both went thru the elementary
> school. He graduated in 1967 and went to Lane
> Tech. I graduated in 1971 and went to Holy
> Trinity. Nuns slapping you around was an under
> statement. One sister Borremeo, who we called
> Sister Borax was the worst. If not the pointer
> across your fingers, it was the hand whisk broom
> against your butt. And shopping up and down
> Chicago Ave. Kaplan's, Meyer Brothers,
> Goldbaltt's, Not one but two movie theaters the
> Hub and the Alvin(?), DeMars' at Chicago &
> Paulina, J & B snack shop, Dietech's pharamcy,
> Division Chevrolet & the Certified at Chicago &
> Wood St. The National's at Superior & Ashland.
> Brother I could go on and on.

Do you remember the Atlas Insurance bldg on the SE corner of Chicago & Paulina?, I have a vague memory of the place. How tall was that building. The building had a fire in 1968 or 69, Then the insurance co moved above where Deitch is, Some 35 years or so later, The sign was recycled as a Deitch Pharmacy sign & STILL exists.

AD:

Date: June 23, 2011 01:18PM

Yeah I do remember that fire, that was a good size building. Across the street was City Savings and Loan. I remember when it went belly up becasue it wasn't FDIC insured. We lived at Huron & Wood. My mom grabbed my brother & and we ran and got in line to get our money out. It was a classic run on the bank. My parents lost a lot of money. Thank God they didn't have all their savings there. The rest of the savings and mortgage was at Fairfield Bank. I have to look, I have a photo of the corner of Paulina & Chicago taken from the old Chicago Ave, L platform in the early 1950's. If i can figure out how to do it I will post it here.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 03:17PM

West Town Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah I do remember that fire, that was a good size
> building. Across the street was City Savings and
> Loan. I remember when it went belly up becasue it
> wasn't FDIC insured. We lived at Huron & Wood. My
> mom grabbed my brother & and we ran and got in
> line to get our money out. It was a classic run on
> the bank. My parents lost a lot of money. Thank
> God they didn't have all their savings there. The
> rest of the savings and mortgage was at Fairfield
> Bank. I have to look, I have a photo of the corner
> of Paulina & Chicago taken from the old Chicago
> Ave, L platform in the early 1950's. If i can
> figure out how to do it I will post it here.

According to your picture, How tall was that Atlas Insurance bldg?. At the SE corner of Chicago & Paulina?.

AD:

Posted by: gglow (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 02:22PM

OLD ST. STEPHEN

Ethnic Origin - Irish in 1916 Polish Date of Origin -1869

Neighborhood - WEST TOWN

Located at Fourth (now Ohio) and Sangamon Street - 917 West Sangamon. In 1952 it merged with Santa Maria Addolorata (Ohio St.). Closed 1952. Parishioners went to St John Cantius (Polish) and Santa Maria Addolorata (Italian). Records at Archives.

Records 1869-1915 have been filmed by the LDS

Item 1-2: Baptisms and marriages 1869-1915 - Film # 1617381

Just a little info I found. This is where I was baptised. Grad of St.
John Cantius ('61).

Gerry

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 06:32PM

gglow,

I’ve been a parishioner at St. John Cantius since 1988. It was in pretty bad shape back then and was getting close to meeting the wrecking ball. Things have gone in an entirely different direction since then and we’ve had loads of structural work done on both the church, rectory, and convent (including restoring the bells in the tower). The school has been rented out to the Academy of Fine arts for years. I don’t know what it looks like on the inside, but the outside probably doesn’t look much different than it did the day you graduated. (I’m guessing that yours was just about the last class to graduate from there). Right now we’re doing a major restoration on the interior of the church. No funny business – pure and simple restoration. We are also in the process of acquiring a world class organ from a south side Methodist church to replace the century old model that’s currently breathing its last. You should really stop by and have a look some time if you haven’t already (assuming you still live in the Chicago area). If you have any old photos of the place, we're always on the lookout for such things.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: September 27, 2011 12:45PM

We heard the St. John Cantius bells ring during the FC Ogden Ave. walking tour earlier this year. Nice to hear about the efforts to restore the structures of the parish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2011 05:18PM by daveg.

AD:

Date: September 29, 2011 12:21AM

More than you can possibly know daveg. I watched the parish church that I grew up in being destroyed piece by piece like so many other Catholic churches in the city that suffered from the mass wreck-ovation of the 1960’s and 70’s. I’ve been very pleased to tell my kids that they’d be experiencing something the polar opposite of what I had to go through: The restoration of architecture to its intended form. [url=http://www.cantius.org/go/art/category/in_our_church/]Here are a few photos of what our church looked like before the interior resorstion began.[/url] The inlaid floor is the only thing that isn’t original. We had to replace the asbestos floor back in the 90’s but a lot of thought went into it and in fact the floor design won an award. There will probably be some “finished product” photos in the future (early next year?). I’ll link to ‘em when they show up. [url=http://www.cantius.org/go/about_us/category/video_about_saint_john_cantius_church/]Here's a video about how we managed to turned things around.[/url] It contains some footage of the interior as well as exterior.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 10:19AM

Thanks for the interesting links. Looking forward to the finished product photos.

AD:

Date: October 01, 2011 01:58AM

Thank you for posting the link to the video. St John's was my grandmother's church after they tore down St Stephen's; St John's was also the church my dad and I would go to for Sunday mass--AFTER I dropped off a token with a number on it in a token box at Santa Maria! SM students were required to "prove" they attended Sunday mass--or the Santa Maria nuns would scold you come Monday morning. Dad and I would sit on the left side of the church..when gram went to an earlier mass, she'd sit by the crucifix on the right side. Grandma had her funeral at Mihalik (sp?) and the mass at St John's. But when my dad passed away a few years later, St John's wouldn't handle the mass!! Said he wasn't a parishioner! Enter St Angela's Church in the Austin neighborhood. Now, that was a beautiful church!! The building still stands--but the interior has been gutted, and the church closed.
FOR A CATHOLIC THRILL (?), I encourage all to attend St John's Christmas Eve midnight mass. The orchestra and choir begin carols at 11pm, and expect to stay for candles to light the interior at the conclusion, which will take you to about 2:30am!

linda

AD:

Date: October 04, 2011 01:23AM

When I was real young chicagopol, we had to go to the 8:00 “Children’s Mass” on Sunday and sit with our class. Our parish (St. Gertrude, Edgewater) dropped the practice about the time I was in second grade but they had another ruse to check on attendance. At the beginning of the school year they passed out boxes of little “Sunday Offering” envelopes. Each set of envelopes was numbered and the nun would record your number in a book next to your name. You dropped the envelope in the collection basket (typically with a nickel in it) and after they were opened and emptied, they sent the little envelopes over to the convent so the nuns could rummage through them to see who was at Mass and who wasn’t.

My grandparents grew up in St. Dominic’s parish just across the river from St. John Cantius. The church is still standing but it’s been shuddered since 1991. The old neighborhood (Swedish then Irish then Italian) was razed after WWII to make way for Cabrini-Green which in turn was razed to make way for gentrification (which seems to be on hold pending the end of the current economic crisis). If all goes well, St. Dominic may well serve a whole new class of people someday.

Midnight Mass at St. John’s is indeed a dramatic event. I’ve sang in the parish schola for over twenty years and leaving the church at 2:30 on Christmas morning is not unusual. Music has always been a major priority with us and skimping is out of the question. We have six choirs and all of them thrive to be the best at what they do. For anyone who feels that midnight Mass looks a little cumbersome, we have a full schedule of choral/orchestral Masses that occur on Sundays as well as holy days starting in the fall and running all the way up to Corpus Christi with a few additional Masses in the summer. You can find a link to it on [url=http://www.cantius.org/go/music/]this page[/url].

AD:

Posted by: DebfromMI (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 02:36PM

I just googled St Stephens. My mother passed away and while cleaning her house I found a beautiful postcard booklet with many realistic drawing pictures of the church inside and out. I thought I might like to visit this church. So when I googled St Stephens your posted note popped up. There are pictures of the church, rectory and school, the chapel of the jewels, main statue of the little flower, etc. I'm sorry to hear it was knocked down. I kept this for about a year until I got the time to research this church. So this might be something you'd like. My guess is its at least 50 years old but in very good condition. God Bless. Deb

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2012 01:03PM

I see a photo on Ebay of Old St. Stephens church. This is not the one at 57th and Blackstone, just curious where this one was located. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-4x5-ORIG-NEG-St-Stephens-Church-Chicago-305-/260941293903?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item3cc150294f

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 06:25PM

Rusty - St. Stephens in Hyde Park has only been called that since the early/mid 70's - it was a Christ Science (16th or 17th I think) Church before that. I doubt that there is much, well, anything, actually, historical under the St. Stephens name for it (def. not RC either).

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact