Trading Stamps

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Trading Stamps
Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2012 11:28AM

I remember my Mom in the early 1970's winning a contest where she won a ton of S&H Green Stamps. She bought us all gifts from the catalog!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 19, 2012 01:09AM

Does anyone remember Gold Bell gift stamps? Which stores used them?

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 10:54AM

I remember the Gold Bell stamps but not ever shopping anywhere that gave them out.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.wi.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 05:39PM

In a way, I suppose one could say that points, miles, rebates and other credit card reward systems is sort of the modern equivilant of trading stamps, and so much easier.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (---.lightspeed.joltil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 05:59PM

jak378 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In a way, I suppose one could say that points,
> miles, rebates and other credit card reward
> systems is sort of the modern equivilant of
> trading stamps, and so much easier.

Yea but pasting stamps in a book was often a family activity, like playing Monopoly as well as the trip to the redemption center. Days gone by I know.

Today we stare at screens by ourselves like I and probably you the reader are doing now. Easier? Yep. Better? ???

AD:

Posted by: CE Carter (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: November 07, 2012 04:28AM

Kchi,
The Jewel Food Stores gave out Plaid Stamps. I remember some Standard Oil gas stations giving out S&H stamps. Wiebolt's gave out S&H stamps. Plaid Stamps came out with the high- medium- and single-value stamps: it took only one high-value stamp to fill a booklet page, etc., etc. I can't remember if the A&P on east Pershing Road (39th) near Cottage Grove gave out S&H stamps. I do remember the Nationals Food Store on 37th and Cottage Grove gave out S&H stamps.
When the Jewels Food Store opened on Pershing Road and Vincennes (two blocks west of the A&P), Jewels had lower prices than A&P. Mom starting doing most of her grocery shopping there and would save up booklets of Plaid Stamps, select what she wanted out of the Plaid Stamps catalog, and then send me down to the redemption store on 79th near Cottage Grove to pick up these household items. One year she let me get a camera that was in the catalog. Boy did I have fun taking pictures of some of my friends in the projects. The photos that survived (from 1964 and 1965) are treasures. What a great gift from Mom -with Plaid Stamps.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2012 11:56AM

daveg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Yea but pasting stamps in a book was often a
> family activity, like playing Monopoly as well as
> the trip to the redemption center. Days gone by I
> know.
>
> Today we stare at screens by ourselves like I and
> probably you the reader are doing now. Easier?
> Yep. Better? ???

No argument there. I still remember helping my grandmother paste stamps in books. Somenow or other she managed to keep my grandfather in the dark about her "stamp" collection. She was able to get me my first good baseball glove, a Ted Williams mosel that sold for the princely sum of around 40 dollars in 1957. I still have it, and today it looks like what it is now, an antique.

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact