Emil Denemark Cadillac.

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Emil Denemark Cadillac.
Posted by: jak378 (---.hsd1.wi.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 02:25PM

Berwyn Frank Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guys I'm not sure who the Oldsmobile Dealer was.
> Holiday Olds prehaps?
>
> Chipast, here's an image from my collection circa
> 1963 showing Ben Geller Chevrolet which was
> located at 3651 W. Ogden Ave. (between Lawndale &
> Millard Aves.) in the Lawndale neighborhood near
> Denemark.
>
>

The Olds dealer was Art Sima, Lawndale Olds. I bought my first new car from them in 1965. In later years I bought a couple of Cadillacs from Emil Denemark, but by then the store had moved to 47th and Pulaski.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 02:28PM by jak378.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: December 28, 2012 07:45AM

[color=#FF0000][center] THAT WAS NO RUMOR THAT EMIL DENEMARK BUILT BULLET PROOF CARS FOR THE MOB. THATS WHERE HE STARTED. HIS HORSE RACE FARM I WANT TO SAY WAS IN HINSDALE, IT HAD A LONG WHITE FENCE AROUND IT. I WAS NEVER IN THEREBUT WE PASSED IT IN MY MOMS 1955 BUICK SPECIAL THAT WAS BUILT LIKE A TANK.[/center][/color]

AD:

Posted by: continentalbill3@yahoo.com (166.181.3.---)
Date: December 30, 2012 03:51AM

[b][color=#FF0033] I COULD BE WRONG BUT I COULD SWEAR THE BIG OLD FENCE FOR THE HORSES HE HAD WAS IN HINSDALE. OH WELL...[/color][/b]

AD:

Posted by: Jayg (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 12:42AM

Does anyone recall the name of the Pontiac dealership located between Kedzie and Albany on the north side of Ogden Avenue?

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 01:16PM

People's Pontiac

AD:

Date: May 28, 2013 06:19PM

Thanks Frank.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 13, 2014 09:08PM

What year did Emil Denemark Cadillac close? I remember the showroom being vary small ,but I remember seeing a giant Cadillac rotating on a turntable .You could see it from the 47th. street side.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: April 14, 2014 06:53PM

I don't remember when Emil Denemark moved from Ogden Avenue to 47th and Pulaski, but the family was evidently out of the business before they closed down. I believe the dealership was called Heritage Cadillac before they closed. I am somewhat surprised by the allegations that Mrs. Denemark was Al Capone's mother in law. As someone has rightfully pointed out, Al's wife was the former Mae Coughlin of Brooklyn, but simple math would also rule this out. Al Capone was born in 1899, and Emil Denemark was born in 1895, so if Jennie was in fact Al's mother in law, she would have to be at least 20 years older than her husband. Makes no sense.
As far as the supplier of mob cars, Denemark sold Frank Nitti the 1938 Fleetwood that was out at the Volo Car Museum for a while, but Joe Bergl, of Bergl Chevrolet at 54th Avenue and Cermak Road, was also a big supplier of cars for the hoodlum element. I have a friend, now 95, who grew up on Cicero, just north of Cermak Road, back in the 1920's and he confirmed a lot of this. His brothers worked at two Capone gambling joints, the Ship, just north of the CTA tracks on the east side of Cicero, where the currency exchange now is, and at the Cotton Club, right to the east of the former location of Bergl Chevrolet at the NE corner of 54th and Cermak.
Back to Denemark, even though he was a near west suburban resident, he is buried in the newer mausoleum at Bohemian National Cemetery at Pulaski & Foster.

AD:

Posted by: RON K. (---.hsd1.az.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2014 05:10PM

I lived at 4736 Karlov not too far from the last location. went into the dealer to always check out the El Dorado's and went to Airway Lincoln the other way near Archer and Pulaski. and bought a Mark 111, I miss those days every day.RON K.

p.s. years later bought a used black 1971 Eldo just to try it out.

AD:

Date: July 25, 2014 05:24AM

An article on Al Capone's Cadillac at auction with a little info on Emil Denemark's connection.

http://www.ibtimes.com/chicago-gangster-al-capones-armored-v8-cadillac-auction-722174

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: July 25, 2014 02:53PM

Was Airway Honda related to Airway Lincoln?

AD:

Posted by: czechguy (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 10:06PM

Just a follow-up on Emil Denemark horse farm.....My Uncle who has lived in Burr Ridge since the late 50's says the Denemark farm was behind is house. He lives near 79th and Hamilton......After the horse farm it was a corn field and now an industrial area.....He gave me a horse shoe he found on the property.......

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 20, 2015 01:29PM

Just ran across this postcard celebrating the 75th anniversary of Emil Denemark Cadillac in 1989. It appears that they were already on S. Pulaski at this time:

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact