26th Street House of b clothing store, Joe singer shoe Store
26th Street House of b clothing store, Joe singer shoe Store
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2011 07:50AM

I everyone , Im the grandson of Betty the owner of former clothes store , that was located on 26th fro 1969 to 1996 . I was wondering there's anyone that knew My grandmother the owner of that store .I would like to hear from people that shopped there in the 1970's to maybe the 1990's . My grandmother and her store is long gone , She past away in 1997 ,, Two months latter my mother also pasted away also , She use to work there with my grandmother .. I also worked at Joe singer shoes , That was my first job in life . Did any one shop at these stores in the past and what did you remember about them .

I would love to hear from people that lived in the neighborhood and shopped that these stores . I have many fond memories of living in that area growing up over there . So if you have lived over there and want to post , please do so . I would like to here from you .

P.S My Grandmothers Store was House Of B Women's clothes store , She sold clothes for regular women , Plus larger women in the way of plus size clothes .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2011 08:06AM by duckland23.

Re: 26th Street House of b clothing store, Joe singer shoe Store
Posted by: Karen (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: June 17, 2012 03:30AM

Joe Singer Shows? Was that on 26th & Christiana? Homan? I remember a shoe shop that had a red-headed woman that worked there. There was a man also. I think he walked with a limp? One leg was shorter than the other? Very friendly people. Always greeted us at the door. I don't remember the clothing store and I graduated from McCormick School in 1976.

Posted by: FBC2618 (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 10:27AM

We lived on 25th street from 1960 to 1977 and I think my Mom shopped at House of B. Where exactly was that located? By Woolworths on Pulaski? Can you post a picture?

Around 1966 my Mom would take me to Singer Shoes. Bought Hush Puppies and PF Flyers.

I'm looking for pictures of B&C Hobby Shop on 26th street. They had model kits in the window.

Frank

Posted by: daves (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2015 05:28PM

What is your name that worked at joe singer shoes. He was my grandfather.And my father worked there.

Joe singer shoe Store
Posted by: daves (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2015 05:29PM

What is your name that worked at joe singer shoes. He was my grandfather.And my father worked there.

Posted by: m1chazz (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 12:19AM

Remember Singers , but I remember it west of Pulaski. Purchased shoes there.
Also Remember B&C hobby; raced slot cars there & purchased models. Graduated
Epiphany school in 1974. Left area in 1975.

Chuck F.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2015 12:22AM by m1chazz.

Posted by: Chi Town Charlie (24.75.146.---)
Date: April 09, 2015 03:00PM

Yes it was west of Pulaski rd. next to a bakery shop. Around 26th & Karlov.

Posted by: FBC2618 (107.77.87.---)
Date: April 09, 2015 06:41PM

When B&C Hobby shop closed in 1976, I went to owner Mr. Vrba's house and bought his Aurora factory promotional displays of Superman, JFK, The Lone Ranger, Gladiator, and Land of the Giants Snake for $3.50 each. I remember when I was 5 looking at the Superman kit in the window in the early 1960s.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have asked if he had the longbox Frightening Lighting monster kits.

At Woolworth's and Zayre's my parents bought me Captain Action costumes.

Linka's also sold model kits too.

I bought comic books from a corner soda shop on 26th and I think Kedvale. The owners name was Mr. Minksy I think. Also bought comics from Hennings Pharmacy.

Date: April 09, 2015 11:57PM

I remember when B&C hobby was originally on the north side of the street then in about 1965, 1966 he moved to the south side. The store on the south side was two stores with a open broken through which contained a large slot car track. I remember latter on went back to a single store with a smaller slot car track. Mr. Verba first
name was Charlie & he ran the store with his wife & daughter . Also knew Hennings the pharmacist, he first work at a pharmacy a relative owned. Like I said before I
graduated epiphany grammar school in 1974 and moved in 1975 so that was really last
constant contact with this area.Also B&C also had bike parts.

Chuck F

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 12:31AM by m1chazz.

Posted by: FBC2618 (107.77.83.---)
Date: April 10, 2015 05:53PM

I remember B&C on the north side when my Dad bought me an Aurora King Kong model kit there in 1964.

B&C must have moved in 1965 to the south side of the street.

In 1976 his son in law told me they threw away a lot of model kits in a hurry as Mr. Vrba didn't move out until the new owner knocked down the walls.

I'm looking for pictures of the B&C storefront. I asked the family but they never took pictures. I asked Community Reporter but they threw away all their photos 15 years ago.

When you played your slots cars there, did you see if they had a 1/25 Batmobile slot car for sale? This would be around 1966 to 1967. Do you remember which model kits you built?

Date: April 10, 2015 08:23PM

Remember the Batmobile in 1/24 but had a plastic model of it. Use to build model cars, but then started military aircraft. Remember building about a 1966 Chicago Police car. Remember a factory display of the "Atomic Cannon" model. Do you still
live in the area? May be going down 26th St in a few weeks while I am on vacation.

Posted by: FBC2618 (107.77.85.---)
Date: April 10, 2015 08:57PM

The 1/32 Batmobile was Aurora's biggest selling kit. But it was very inaccurate as they rushed it. Polar Lights made an all new 1/25 1966 Batmobile that is highly accurate. The second reissue has new resin figures based on Adam West.

If you like models Berwyn's Toys and Trains on Ogden about 12 minutes from Epiphany has an excellent selection. Lots of figure kits and mags on military models. They carry Moebius which makes insanely detailed gigantic models of the Lost in Space ship and the Seaview. Polar Lights makes a huge Star Trek Enterprise kit. If built well they look like full size movie sets.

No, I no longer live in Little Village tho I'm still very familiar with it. My parents moved out in 1977 as they saw the neighborhood changing. My former neighbor Brian I met in 2000 and he told me they moved out in 1982 when they heard gunshots at night.

There was another toy store on 26th by Springfield. I remember seeing a short neighborhood kid named Stephen throw an Estes Rocket that landed loud and the toy store owner chased him out.

Did you buy comic books on 26th st.?

Date: April 10, 2015 09:30PM

yes at drug stores. But purchased models also at Woolworths & Little Village Toys & Hobbies. I also built model rockets. Where did you go to school?

Date: April 10, 2015 09:45PM

Chuck, you and I were in a Cessna and as it was landing Stephen Gronkiewicz was running on the ground to meet us. The pilot said "Is he trying to outrun the plane?"

We did a skit in class where we pretended to be in a car and Stephen was playing a cop. Acting, you fainted on the floor very convincingly after Stephen said something like "you're too big for juvi."

I too went to Epiphany and graduated in 1974.

Date: April 10, 2015 10:08PM

Frank B ? Your family had the bakery on 26th & Blue island?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 10:08PM by m1chazz.

Date: April 10, 2015 10:18PM

Yes.

Date: April 10, 2015 10:32PM

wow been along time. Are the bakeries still there ? As for models I still have kit
of USS Enterprise CVN60 , By Aurora, From Xmas 1972, unbuilt

Date: April 10, 2015 10:46PM

Yes still have bakery on 26th. I was interviewed on Food Network.

How are you?

Last I heard about Stephen he moved to California. Saw the Serduicks at a Epiphany reunion.

I remember seeing in Epiphany a long stairway leading to a wooden elevator. It was behind a door in a classroom where we hanged our coats. Did you ever see that elevator?

Date: April 10, 2015 11:16PM

Fine live in the W/burbs. Never saw an elevator. Last saw Steve in late 70's. I was in the neighborhood with my father, on leave from USMC , he was in the Navy & last I heard he was a magician. Was back to Epiphany Church but, the last time I was in the school was probably 1974

Date: April 11, 2015 12:11AM

Epiphany has reunions every few years where alumni can tour the school.

Do you remember the name of the teacher who was in a wheelchair. He taught science?

I remember kindergarten with Nicolene. They gave us paper straws for chocolate milk but the straws collapsed when wet.

Someone told me Teddy Tutka was killed in a fire late 1970s but I couldn't find a newspaper article on the net about it.

I think you were at my house once?

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact