Eminent Domain History?

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Eminent Domain History?
Posted by: Eliza (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 04:19PM

Hi Folks,

As those of you who run this page know, I am a Lincoln Square native. As you also probably know, there is currently a huge fuss being made regarding the east side of the 4800 block of N. Western Avenue, between Lawrence and Ainslie. Alderman Schulter is in the process of OK-ing the city's (ab)use of Eminent Domain to seize the majority of the block of businesses, not for any particular public works project, but to sell to private developers to "condoze" (thanks for the term) and thus bring in more property tax earnings.

My parents have been highly involved in the local protests of this move, and it got me wondering: Chicago being the probable US capital of corrupt urban politics, there must be other stories like this one. What are some other heavily protested abuses of Eminent Domain in Chicago history? I'm sure you guys know far better than I do. I'd be curious to learn more about it, especially since I'm pretty politically retarded.

Thanks, and by the way, the whole site is really impressive. It's like you're doing what all of us who love Chicago and history wish we were doing, but are too lazy. And too untalented.

Eliza

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Eminent Domain History?
Posted by: appleuzer (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 07:30PM

Erija,

Im sure you've seen Encyclopedia of Chicago's page on it, (http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/425.html)

Its rare but it does happen. Off the top of my head, the 1100 block of west Bryn Mawr in Edgewater, on the northwest corner of Winthrop and Bryn Mawr west to the alley/red line. That whole stretch has been abandoned for at least 5 years and tattooed with bright orange city signs declaring that its THEIRS. I used to take the 84 Peterson bus from the red line and wait right next to that building. The building used to be an ice cream parlor/taqueria/wigstore. Tragically, it shares an intersection with 3 other successful businesses and it would be a great idea to do something with that asset.

no idea how it came into the city's control though... maybe someone at the meetup might have some answers? Hmm?

-Mike, ForgottenChicago.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2007 07:34PM by appleuzer.

AD:

Posted by: Jacob (---.arm-bsr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 02, 2008 09:15PM

A recent (last couple years) supreme court ruling declared that eminent domain could be used by public entities for private uses. This was not previously allowable. So, what is going on in Lincoln Square could not have even been proposed just a couple of years ago. If they wanted to tear those buildings down for a library or police station, sure, but not for a private development. Now, basically any property that is declared as "blighted" can be acquired by the city through eminent domain and then sold to private developers. Pretty crazy, eh?

As for general eminent domain uses and abuses in the city's past, expressways, housing projects, UIC, etc, etc, were built with eminent domain. I'll leave it up to you to decide which of those projects were worthwhile and which were abuses.

--
Jacob Kaplan - Editor
Forgotten Chicago

AD:

Posted by: Eliza (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: January 06, 2008 04:38AM

Thanks Jake and Mike.

Yeah, since writing this I actually recalled learning about that eminent domain ruling, and I must admit, it sucks. Not that it's hard to admit. What IS hard to admit is that "Mean Gene," alderman of the 47th Ward for basically my entire life and uncle of my best friend when I was little, is just as corrupt as everybody else.

Damn us Chicagoans for always voting for the familiar!

AD:

Posted by: didi (---.neiu.edu)
Date: January 15, 2008 08:13AM

The Chicago Reader always had great articles about the city and eminent domain. I think they may have an archive on their website, One example I can think of from the top of my head was something similar happening near Lawrence and Austin, not the exact place but around there somewhere where the city was trying to buy up property, one business that protested was a bike shop in an old Jewel.

AD:

Posted by: Jacob (---.arm-bsr1.chi-arm.il.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 16, 2008 12:33AM

Yeah, I believe that was in Jefferson Park, at the corner of Milwaukee/Lawrence. These is a bike shop in an outstanding example of a 1930s Jewel just east of that intersection on the south side of the street.

AD:

Posted by: didi (---.neiu.edu)
Date: January 17, 2008 03:28PM

It was Lawrence and Milwaukee. Thanks for correcting me. I found the article through the Chicago Reader's website.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/tifarchive/060224/

AD:

Posted by: SuperCFL (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 12:15AM

I believe the city was finally forced to back down in the Jefferson Park case.

The ultimate tragedy of the USSC's Kelo decision is that it's the ultimate incentive to NOT invest in real estate. And what happens to a city when nobody's willing to own property therein?

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact