Chicago Fire Insurance Patrol

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Chicago Fire Insurance Patrol
Posted by: chicagofirepatrol (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 24, 2007 05:12PM

New Book "History of the Chicago Fire Insurance patrol 1871-1959"

This limited edition (1000 copies) hard cover book covers all aspects of the Chicago Fire Insurance Patrol. Topics covered include the Patrol’s stations, rigs, equipment, Patrol Chiefs, interviews with former Patrolmen, Line of Duty Deaths, documents, Patrol school and much more! Foreword by Hal Bruno, columnist from FIREHOUSE Magazine. This book has 384 pages and contains over 200 never before published photos with 48 pages of color photos. All books will be hand signed and numbered. Pick up your copy before they are all gone. Here are some recent comments by book purchasers:

THANK YOU, I GOT MY BOOK......GREAT JOB, I WASN’T EXPECTING A BOOK LIKE THIS, OUTSTANDING AND THEN SOME. I WILL ENJOY THE BOOK, THANKS AGAIN GLENN CUNNINGHAM...

Keith:
Received your long awaited book yesterday and it's more than I expected. It belongs in every fire fan's and firefighters library. Great job, Keith. Thanks again.
Carl Fox

Received the book yesterday. Excellent job. I have a lot of books relating to the fire service and I must say that this book is outstanding. Thanks again for the prompt shipment.
Donald J. Ruland

I just received my copy of the History of the Chicago Insurance Patrol and I must pass onto you both and everybody who worked on the book my outstanding praise for the book. I can only think of the long hours needed to make this book so great. Again, thank you for taking the time to write about this part of fire service history.
Capt. William Burns

Keith,
Just wanted to tell you what a FANTASTIC BOOK this is that you put together. I've been collecting fire books for over 20 years now, and this is probably by-far one of the best books i have in my collection now. You did an unbelievable job, and should be very proud of your work.
Stay safe Brother,

Marc Dore'
46 Engine
F.D.N.Y.

Excerpts from the chapter:
“In Their Own Words …. The Men of the Patrol.”

Patrolman Don Kelso: “We had a fire at a mattress company and the building had chutes in there for the mattresses. We were below the fire placing covers, when all of a sudden some mattresses on fire started sailing down the chutes and chased us right out of the building. We didn’t expect this and the whole place ended up burning down".

Patrolman Earl Nootbaar (Passed away 2006): “I was 23 years old when I went on the Patrols and even now at age 80, I can still remember the Patrol slogan – “Mid summer rains and winter snows, thru portals these which never close, speed loyal hearts and willing arms, duty bound to fire alarms.”
Patrolman Pierce Buckley: “When I came on there was a handball court in Patrols 1 & 2’s house. For training they brought you in there and you simulated covering racks of clothing and racks against the wall. Racks against the wall had to be covered by getting something to weigh down the covers at the top because you couldn’t get behind them. We also simulated making chutes and how to properly cover an open roof to prevent further damage. They placed you with an experienced patrolman and you practiced throwing covers everyday and after while it became second nature to you.”

Patrolman Tom Flavhive: “I remember another call. It was 7 o’clock at night when we got a run and as we turned on to Madison Street, we noticed the fire was blowing halfway across the street. Just as we were coming to a halt in front of the building, a man came out of the top floor without a stitch of clothing and landed on the sidewalk right next to the rig. When he hit the sidewalk he just splattered all over. Needless to say, I had never seen anything like that before. While we were working inside the building, some Good Samaritan picked up this poor soul and placed him in our rig. We took the man out of our rig and boy there was a real mess in there. So when we got back to quarters, I as the candidate- the new kid on the block, it was my job to clean out the inside of the rig.”

Please visit our website at http://www.chicagofirepatrol.com for ordering information.

The books are $39.99 + $7 shipping.

Thanks

Keith Seafield

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago Fire Insurance Patrol
Posted by: Serhii (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 07:13AM

Hormel Spiced Ham. We'd object if we weren't guilty of it ourselves. Keith, we'll trade you some long-term ad space on a page or two for a copy of the book. What do you think?

AD:

Re: Chicago Fire Insurance Patrol
Posted by: chicagofirepatrol (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2007 12:32PM

No Problem Serhii
Email me your address and I will send out a copy.
Thanks
Keith

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact