Crime story

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Crime story
Posted by: rich1974 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 12:49AM

this show was filmed in chicago for most of season one. it aired in '85-86....my question is: does anyone remember seeing it being filmed? remember where? did u meet any of the cast?....

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Crime story
Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2008 04:02AM

The first episode was filmed Washinton Square Pk, near north side Clark St and Walton St. Its only one I saw, in 1981. Some of the actors were familiar from local commercials. Not like Empire man, but some lady in Jewel? ads.

AD:

Posted by: billdolan (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2008 02:40AM

I remember them shooting around Broadway and Granville once.

http://www.dolanart.com

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (63.226.79.---)
Date: March 26, 2008 06:33PM

A scene in the pilot episode was shot at Marie's Riptide Lounge on Armitage. Marie has a framed bunch of photos of the shoot on the wall near the door.

I do remember them filming at the "UFO house" (Dee Road in Park Ridge, John McDonald, arch.).

Some of the other locations: the now-demolished Del Morocco Club on Lake and Halsted, South Shore Country Club, Amy Joy Donuts on Milwaukee and Touhy and Superdawg, which was seen in the opening credits.

AD:

Posted by: hipoldguy (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 10:47PM

What is the "UFO house" in Park Ridge?

AD:

Posted by: rich1974 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 11:03PM

yeah! seriously...i don't live that far fromPR or dee rd...sounds pretty cool

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 27, 2008 01:43AM

Is it right north of Touhy? There's a cool "tiki" house on Talcott Rd., just (well, due) west of what looks to be a round house on Dee Road.

AD:

Date: March 27, 2008 04:49PM

It's just north of Touhy Ave. on Dee Road, on the east side of the street. The back of the house faces a small lake.

In the show, it was the house of the Outfit's underboss.

AD:

Posted by: raskolnikov (---.mhmlaw.com)
Date: April 02, 2008 05:55PM

There is a high rise apartment on N. Lake Shore Drive (somewhere around 4000 N. I think) with a prominent white space-age foyer roof. They did some exterior shots there. I seem to rcall it was the residence of Det. Torello's wife/ex-wife.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.gyharch.com)
Date: April 03, 2008 04:10PM

That sounds like 3550 LSD. With a funky white sculptural mural?

AD:

Posted by: tseals (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 12, 2008 05:35PM

I had a couple of bit parts and extra spots when they filmed it> One was at 59th(?) & Kedzie> I think it was "GERTIES" Ice cream shop. A couple ofother extra spots were at some club in River North (EriE, Huron?) area. Adrea Dice Clay was a gangster in it.

AD:

Posted by: curtis (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: April 21, 2008 05:01PM

I lived across the street from the Del Morroco back then. They shot a scene (it was supposed to be a "shooting gallery") in our storefront at 807 W. Lake, next to the TNT Lounge. Our space pre-dated the Great Fire, built in 1869. It was demoed around 2001 and was a gravel parking lot last I noticed. The movie "No Mercy" (starring Richard Gere and Kim Bassinger) was also shot in the neighborhood at that time and they shot a scene at next door at the TNT. They used our storefront to feed the crew and keep the extras warm.

AD:

Date: April 22, 2008 06:37PM

Wow, excellent! I remember that episode; they raided the place by throwing a trash can through the window and a gunfight ensued.

There seem to be different buildings used for the exterior shots of Det. Torello's apartment. Some of other the ones I noticed are 860-880 Lake Shore Drive, one of the buildings at Diversey Pkwy and Sheridan and the building at 2400 N. Lake View (which was also used as the exterior shot for the first season of "Playboy's Penthouse" - Hefner pulls his Mercedes up to the front).

AD:

Posted by: Larry L (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 23, 2013 01:40PM

You can buy the DVD set for all the episodes - great view of old houses, cars etc.

AD:

Posted by: alishajoh4753 (---.88.68.182.airtelbroadband.in)
Date: April 02, 2014 04:05AM

I not remember anything becouse i am too young that time. The UFO park means can anyone tell me.

[url=http://www.parkridgeillocksmith.com]Park Ridge IL Locksmith[/url]

AD:

Posted by: nicjewels (182.178.97.---)
Date: April 08, 2014 02:28PM

There is a google map available I've came across which tells the location of Crime story where it was filmed

AD:

Posted by: willnathan (182.180.191.---)
Date: April 09, 2014 06:45AM

Never happened to me though i am at the same place

[url=http://www.activeinsurance.com]Auto Insurance Chicago[/url]

AD:

Posted by: davey7 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: April 10, 2014 12:29PM

Interesting they chose the iconic Mies buildings, like 860-880 LSD, 2400 Lakeview and the ones on Diversey/Sheridan.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2014 01:16AM

You can check out more on Crime Story at Filming Locations of Chicago. Here is Crime Story:

http://www.itsfilmedthere.com/2013/05/crime-story.html

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2014 01:40AM

rjmachon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can check out more on Crime Story at Filming
> Locations of Chicago. Here is Crime Story:
>
>
> http://www.itsfilmedthere.com/2013/05/crime-story.
> html

Nice, they included the Google Map I created of the filming locations.
I've been working on a complete soundtrack for both seasons but it's been difficult since the re-releases of the show sometimes don't have the original music used in the broadcast (licensing is expensive), going so far as to talk with the music directors for the show.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact