Driving Tour recommendations

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Driving Tour recommendations
Posted by: Hawthorne House (---.commdis.uni.edu)
Date: December 17, 2010 05:44PM

I always attend the Chicago Auto Show and love the city. My brother, a Marine, recently moved closer and will be coming along. He and I always talk about exploring and photographing the city.

If you had a day, what neighborhoods or areas of the city would you recommend? I am not so much interested in the Loop. I have explored Lakeview and some of Bridgeport. I am not interested in the touristy areas, if at all possible. Former students of mine have told me about sandwich shops around Humboldt Park and I had a student talk about her grandfather living in the Bush and the Polish deli down there. Old manufacturing districts are intriguing, as well as ethnic neighborhoods. I have been in contact with Miss Lee at Miss Lee's Good Food on 200 East Garfield Blvd and would love to stop in there.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Take care.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Driving Tour recommendations
Posted by: Berwyn Frank (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 03:51AM

Hawthorne, I would DEFINITELY recomend Pilsen as a fantastic place for a tour. This historic ethnic neighborhood is very old and largely intact. I could go on and on but I will link you this thread instead. Check it out!

http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/2/1846/page=1/_subject_

AD:

Re: Driving Tour recommendations
Posted by: blee (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2010 04:23AM

One of the places I really love driving (not only when I'm with people from out of town, but just in general) is this strip of Elston between where it starts at Milwaukee (near Chicago & Ogden) to where it hits Ashland, near Armitage. Old warehouses and abandoned lots along the river, the Morton Salt factory, relics of industrial Chicago, Nothing much to stop and get out and do in the area (unless you want to get a beer or catch a show at the Hideout, or venture out along North ave) but I do think it's, at the very least, worth a drive if you're in the area.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact