Bargain Town

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bargain Town
Posted by: the_mogra (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 06:41PM

a walgreen's now stands just where that white castle once was, which itself replaced the Pet's Petland store i'd mentioned in my previous post. Around 1972 or so the pet shop building was torn down for the WC, and I'm half certain the photographer Edward Fox had a studio store in the same milwaukee ave bldg up till then (he's now by Jefferson Park)

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 09:22AM

In the same block of stores as the pet store and Fox studios, I remember a haberdasher or men's store, a shoe store that I think sold Red Goose shoes and a fish store that we would go to on Friday's during Lent to get cooked fish.

AD:

Date: April 16, 2015 12:27PM

yes, the heart of 'Bucktown', then enjoy a banana split @ Margie's and a double/triple movie feature at the Oak theatre. The old woman who used to own and operate Margie's candies then (I think up to the '90s?) was related to my own Auntie Flo (who lived on Leavitt st). Didn't she keep Margie's open until midnight 7 days a week all by herself?

Back to Bargain Town, they were THE place to buy the old Kenner's construction sets popular in the early '60s (you know, Bridge & Turnpike, Girder & Panel, Hydro-Dynamic, etc). Slot car Model Motoring too.

AD:

Posted by: EricV (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2015 11:24AM

Margie's is still owned by her family. There's a second Margie's on Montrose right by the el tracks.
I worked at Bargain Town one Christmas-people were animals. It got so bad that we would just yell "Coming through!" and haul the flatbeds full of stock out of the back regardless of where people were standing. They wouldn't move otherwise.

AD:

Date: April 17, 2015 11:32AM

having seen even more horrendous customer behavior (@ Christmastime) at latter-day mega-toy stores, like Toys-R-Us of course, I can almost believe what you say re. that going on @ Bargain Town. I took guitar lessons @ Melody Music School on Western ave right next to the Oak Theatre (early-mid '60s) every 2 weeks I think (the instructor/owner was a guy namerd Joe Guido, with his wife) so every 2 weeks year-round I was likely nosing around Bargain Town

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2016 12:42PM

u

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (---.dhs.gov)
Date: February 01, 2016 04:56PM

btt

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact